Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing apple id

I have a new MacBook Air. I have set up the apple id using my Rogers account. My iphone is set up using a different apple id using a different email account. How do I change my iphone id to the same id as the MacBook Air?

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 5:17 PM

Why did you create a new Apple ID.

You should use the same Apple ID for the new Mac as you used for your iPhone.

If you create a new Apple ID, you will not have any access to any content acquired (free or paid) with the old Apple ID. Apple will not merge Apple IDs or transfer content from one Apple ID to another.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.6; Watch, series 3 cellular, watchOS 5.3; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 8+, iOS 12.4; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 12.4;  HomePods, audioOS 12.4 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2019 5:17 PM in response to mewsicteech

Why did you create a new Apple ID.

You should use the same Apple ID for the new Mac as you used for your iPhone.

If you create a new Apple ID, you will not have any access to any content acquired (free or paid) with the old Apple ID. Apple will not merge Apple IDs or transfer content from one Apple ID to another.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.6; Watch, series 3 cellular, watchOS 5.3; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 8+, iOS 12.4; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 12.4;  HomePods, audioOS 12.4 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Aug 27, 2019 5:16 PM in response to mewsicteech

There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Changing apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.