Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

phone not working after 12.4.1 update

Hi, my iPhone7 automatically updated to the 12.4.1.

It keeps says 'Cellular Update Failed' - Your iPhone cannot make and receive calls and access cellular data until it has been updated.

In software update it says its up to date.

Not sure what to do?

iPhone 7

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 12:40 PM

There are two major Updates in an iPhone / iPad:

1. iOS Update (Optional): Released by Apple Inc basically for improvements, security and bug fixes. Does not affect Data, Calls & SMSs if not updated

1. Carrier Update (Required): Released by your Cellular Service provider (Carrier Update), affects your Outgoing / Incoming calls, SMS, Data etc..

How to Update Carrier Settings

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update with these steps: Make sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

How to update iOS

Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates, then turn off AutomaticUpdates. At any time, you can check for and install software updates. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. The screen shows the currently installed version of iOS and whether an update is available.

Update iOS software on iPhone - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2019 12:40 PM in response to md2104

There are two major Updates in an iPhone / iPad:

1. iOS Update (Optional): Released by Apple Inc basically for improvements, security and bug fixes. Does not affect Data, Calls & SMSs if not updated

1. Carrier Update (Required): Released by your Cellular Service provider (Carrier Update), affects your Outgoing / Incoming calls, SMS, Data etc..

How to Update Carrier Settings

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update with these steps: Make sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

How to update iOS

Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates, then turn off AutomaticUpdates. At any time, you can check for and install software updates. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. The screen shows the currently installed version of iOS and whether an update is available.

Update iOS software on iPhone - Apple Support

Sep 11, 2019 6:09 PM in response to md2104

I am having the problem too. I go into Settings>General>About and it never tells me an update is available yet a few hours later it keeps telling me a cellular update has failed. The only way to make my iPhone 7 operational is to keep turning it on and off and that only sometimes works. Is this a bug in 12.4.1 and will be resolved in iOS 13? I'm tired of having to babysit this phone. Please help.

Sep 19, 2019 5:18 AM in response to md2104

This is getting absolutely ridiculous with the Iphone7.

I had an issue similar in Feb where it said the SIM card wouldnt work, and bricked my phone. For those of us who NEED a phone due to work, that meant driving TWO AND A HALF HOURS each way to an apple store, taking a **** full day off work to address this.

Now, six months later, I'm in the same boat. Saying cellular data didnt work. I tried resetting network settings, updated the carrier and IOS, and now did a DFU reset.. and HAVE ANOTHER BRICK. Why in the world I'm spending this much money on something that paralyzes me every six months is incredible.

phone not working after 12.4.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.