Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of some kind of hijacking device?

http://search.anysearchmanager.com

Whenever I click onto Safari the browser above keeps appearing. How do I get rid of it in layman's terms?

I do know it is some kind of hijacking device. Don't know how I got it.

Any help would be appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 2:07 PM

MalwareBytes got rid of some stuff, but the way SIP protects Safari, it can't remove some items even if it knows they're there.

Open Safari's preferences and click on the Extensions tab. Disable any you don't recognize. If the problem is gone, click the button to remove the extension(s) responsible.

In the System Preferences, check to see if there's an icon for Profiles.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2019 2:07 PM in response to k.i.s.s.

MalwareBytes got rid of some stuff, but the way SIP protects Safari, it can't remove some items even if it knows they're there.

Open Safari's preferences and click on the Extensions tab. Disable any you don't recognize. If the problem is gone, click the button to remove the extension(s) responsible.

In the System Preferences, check to see if there's an icon for Profiles.

Aug 29, 2019 6:10 PM in response to k.i.s.s.

Well, if MalwareBytes didn’t find it, you can always keep looking with something else. I wrote a little diagnostic program to help show what adware is installed. Download EtreCheckPro from https://www.etrecheck.com and run it. Create a new reply and use the "Notes" tool below to add your EtreCheck report.

If adware is installed, EtreCheckPro will help you remove it, although you may have to supply a password. If you aren’t comfortable with that, just post the EtreCheck report here and other helpers can tell you exactly what files need to be deleted and how to do so.

Disclaimer: EtreCheckPro is my own app. EtreCheckPro is free to use but has in-app purchases available. Downloading EtreCheckPro or using it could give me some form of compensation, financial or otherwise.

How do I get rid of some kind of hijacking device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.