Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install iTunes with the media on Drive D? (2019)

I want to install iTunes with the media saved on Drive D - not C drive.

In addition I would like to then re-download all my media from the Apple Store.

I have just installed Windows10 on the C drive, and I have tried a few different ways to install iTunes 12.9.6.3 so that the music and movies etc end up downloading to the D drive, but it seems to insist on downloading to the C drive.

At the moment I have removed iTunes following the recommended Apple procedure, and hope someone can give me a 1-2-3 how to install it in a way to do this, because I must be doing something wrong!

QUESTION SUMMARY

Can someone advise me how to install iTunes so that the media ends up in D:\MEDIA\iTunes\iTunes Media please?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 8:59 AM

1. Install iTunes.
  2. Press and hold down shift as you launch iTunes, keep holding until asked to choose or create a library.
  3. Create your iTunes library at D:\iTunes or D:\Media\iTunes as you prefer. The media folder will become iTunes Media inside the iTunes folder.

See also Make a split library portable - Apple Community. There is a bug in recent builds of iTunes for Windows that resets the media folder each time iTunes is launched if it is in a split configuration, which is probably why you have been struggling.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2019 8:59 AM in response to flobbyblob

1. Install iTunes.
  2. Press and hold down shift as you launch iTunes, keep holding until asked to choose or create a library.
  3. Create your iTunes library at D:\iTunes or D:\Media\iTunes as you prefer. The media folder will become iTunes Media inside the iTunes folder.

See also Make a split library portable - Apple Community. There is a bug in recent builds of iTunes for Windows that resets the media folder each time iTunes is launched if it is in a split configuration, which is probably why you have been struggling.

tt2

How to install iTunes with the media on Drive D? (2019)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.