Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD internal HD install

How do I initialize anew SSD installed on my MacBook (2012). Used Disk Utilities to erase new SSD buy says it needs to be initialized. How on an internal SSD??

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2019 9:10 PM

I guess I did not make clear the old HD is so messed up it won't even mount, never mind boot the MacBook (8) I did have success getting the SSD to download OSx and up and running after I erased the SSD with Disk Utilities on another Mac AND set it up AFPS.

After the SSD was setup and I opened the MacBook up again to implement the suggestion to change the hard drive cable. It was a good idea and I did implement it.

Thanks!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2019 9:10 PM in response to ricsem

I guess I did not make clear the old HD is so messed up it won't even mount, never mind boot the MacBook (8) I did have success getting the SSD to download OSx and up and running after I erased the SSD with Disk Utilities on another Mac AND set it up AFPS.

After the SSD was setup and I opened the MacBook up again to implement the suggestion to change the hard drive cable. It was a good idea and I did implement it.

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2019 5:14 PM in response to ricsem

Internet Recovery. hold option-command-R at power on and it will try to load recovery from the internet. You'll need an ethernet connection, or if you don't have that a WiFi connection that doesn't need an approval screen. If there's a WiFi password then your Mac will prompt for that. You would need to install MacOS using Internet Recovery.

Aug 29, 2019 6:12 PM in response to ricsem

I assume you have the non-Retina 2012 MBP because the Retina already has a SSD.

The easiest way is to start with the old drive in the computer (I think you skipped this step). Put the new SSD in an external enclosure first and then use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the original hard drive to the SSD. That utility prompts you to create the recovery partition as well so the new drive does everything the old one does. Then remove the old drive from the computer, remove the SSD from its enclosure and put in in the computer and close up.

I did this with my 2012 MBP non-Retina about 18 months ago and the new SSD, once prepared this way, booted first try.

NOTE: On non-Retina 2009-2012 13-inch MBP, it is best practice to change the hard drive cable at the same time you change the hard drives, The cable is cheap, available, and easy to change, especially when you already have the computer apart and the old drive out.

SSD internal HD install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.