Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Localized string not found in Maps App

I keep getting this verbiage in Maps app “localized string not located”. It is also captured with my home address and a few others. Also when I click the i button in the right corner of maps it brings up a listing of six of these with a toggle switch stating the same. What is this and how do I get rid of them. The toggle switch was on when I hit the i button and I turned it off but it doesn’t seem to do anything. What is needed to fix this issue. Thanks

Map App not listed in topics for selection.

Maps App not listed in Topic.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2019 11:57 AM

Hi JoeF2019.

In that case, you'll want to start by deleting and reinstalling the Maps app. Do this by tapping and holding on the app and then tapping the "x" in the upper right corner of the app. Then reboot the iPhone and reinstall Maps from the App Store.

If that does not resolve the issue, you'll want to take things a step further and do a full restore of the device in order to make sure this is not some kind of corruption at the iOS level.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Before restoring, make sure you're backed up. But, when initially restoring, do so as a new device and then test the Maps app to see if the issue persists. If the issue is resolved after restoring, then you can restore again and this time, restore the backup. Doing things in this manner will allow you to isolate the behavior to an issue with the iOS install or possibly a corruption in the user data.

Cheers.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2019 11:57 AM in response to JoeF2019

Hi JoeF2019.

In that case, you'll want to start by deleting and reinstalling the Maps app. Do this by tapping and holding on the app and then tapping the "x" in the upper right corner of the app. Then reboot the iPhone and reinstall Maps from the App Store.

If that does not resolve the issue, you'll want to take things a step further and do a full restore of the device in order to make sure this is not some kind of corruption at the iOS level.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Before restoring, make sure you're backed up. But, when initially restoring, do so as a new device and then test the Maps app to see if the issue persists. If the issue is resolved after restoring, then you can restore again and this time, restore the backup. Doing things in this manner will allow you to isolate the behavior to an issue with the iOS install or possibly a corruption in the user data.

Cheers.

Aug 31, 2019 10:46 AM in response to JoeF2019

Hello JoeF2019 and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It appears from the way your query is phrased that you're experiencing this behavior on an iOS device such as an iPhone. What iOS version are you running and on what specific device? Has the device ever been jailbroken or had un-approved software installed?

Cheers.

Aug 31, 2019 11:09 AM in response to Teddy_B

This is on an I-phone 8+ with IOS 12.4.1. When I search the Maps app this appears in conjunction with the addresses saved and shows for my location and home location. No this phone has not been jail broken, the Maps app came installed on my phone. All other apps added to my phone came from the App Store. Thanks for responding.

Aug 31, 2019 4:13 PM in response to sterling r

Thanks Sterling for your help. It seems that my problem stemmed from favorites in the Maps App. I deleted all destinations showing the localized string missing message and then found it linked to favorites and the app would not allow me to delete the information. I then did what you stated and removed the Maps app, rebooted the iPhone and downloaded the Maps app from the App Store and it gave me a clean app with no issues, so this issue has been resolved. Thanks again!

Localized string not found in Maps App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.