Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro heating up when charging

My macbook starts heating up when i put it on charge for like 20 mins or so without using it while charging is that normal ? or should i make a trip to the repair center ?

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 9:45 PM

Depends on how hot. Batteries get a bit warm when they're charging. The system is designed to charge in steps where it backs off the charge rate when it gets closer to 100%. Do you have any kind of application that reads temperature sensors?

3 replies

Aug 31, 2019 8:09 AM in response to Khurram007

Khurram007 wrote:
Actually no. But it doesn't get like very hot just it warms up a little and i just want to know that is any kind of heating up normal when my mac is charging and is not being used ?

Batteries get warm when they charge. They get warm when they discharge. However, it's a matter of how much. I lot of things were learned over the years, including that once a battery gets closer to 100% charge it can get really hot and the charge rate must be reduced to prevent it from overheating (and possibly catching on fire).

You can look up applications that you can install to monitor the temperature sensors. Here's one you can place on Dashboard, although it is at end of life and will no longer receive any updates.

Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - Hardware Monitor Widget Edition.

Macbook pro heating up when charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.