Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can send @icloud or @me email but can not receive

I have an 2 apple email addresses on my phone. @icloud and @me. I can send emails from either address but can not receive. I was able to receive emails as of 8/5 as I still have the last email received. I can't delete and re-add. What to do?

iPhone 8

Posted on Aug 31, 2019 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 4:47 PM

After searching online repeatedly and not finding anything but the canned "follow these diagnostics" from Apple, I finally found my problem. I just got an email from Apple saying that because I will not upgrade my iCloud storage, my iCloud emails will quit working. My storage has been full for years. I have no need for the backup so will not be upgrading. I guess Apple wants to squeeze a few more bucks out of me.

I've disabled my iCloud backup and emails are flowing again.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2019 4:47 PM in response to macdamanisme

After searching online repeatedly and not finding anything but the canned "follow these diagnostics" from Apple, I finally found my problem. I just got an email from Apple saying that because I will not upgrade my iCloud storage, my iCloud emails will quit working. My storage has been full for years. I have no need for the backup so will not be upgrading. I guess Apple wants to squeeze a few more bucks out of me.

I've disabled my iCloud backup and emails are flowing again.

Sep 1, 2019 12:22 PM in response to Joseph_S.

I did that before posting here.

As noted, this worked fine up until about 3 weeks ago. I can send from my phone but not receive.

Sent emails are ultimately kicked back with a message that the "recipient's email system didn't respond". My email system for both @me.com and @icloud.com is Apple. There is no setup on my end. I can't delete and re-add. This is all hardwired by Apple.

Sep 1, 2019 1:47 PM in response to macdamanisme

macdamanisme,

Thank you for the update. A few clarifying questions for you.

Have you tried logging in to iCloud.com and checked your email there?

Are you able to receive emails through the web portal?

You say that sent emails are "ultimately kicked back", is this with all emails or just to some addresses?

What other troubleshooting have you tried?

With this information we can isolate the issue to iCloud or the iPhone and focus our troubleshooting efforts more directly.

Cheers.

Sep 1, 2019 4:36 PM in response to CarlAVII

Yes. iCloud shows the last email received to be from 8/5. That's the same email I see on my iPhone. iCloud has not received any emails since 8/5.

No, I'm unable to receive emails through the web portal. Many attempts have been made but there are no emails beyond 8/5.

When a mail server cannot complete an email transaction with a remote server, it's common for the email to be "kicked back" with an error code. The problem here is that the Apple server never responds at all. Eventually, the email times out and gets kicked back.

I've sent emails to both the @me and @icloud address from a variety of email addresses on a variety of machines. Office 365 (cloud), Outlook (PC), Yahoo and Gmail. No email TO these addresses are delivered. It would appear emails sent FROM these addresses go out OK.

Can send @icloud or @me email but can not receive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.