Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12.4.1 not allowing Fingerprint setup for Touch ID

This update appears to have disabled the ability to add a fingerprint. I restarted the phone, made sure the thing is dry and clean, reset all settings. Going into settings -> Touch ID & Passcode, I wont take a fingerprint. Then when I turn one use option, like iphone unlock, the next screen to "setup a fingerprint" appears for a second or so then goes immediately to another screen saying it "failed" - that it was "Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again".

iPhone 6s

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 11:05 AM

There is no option to downgrade. Apple does not support downgrading. I would try force closing the app, and then try again. You may also wish to make sure that you have a current backup created, then restore the iPhone to factory, set it up as new, and not use a backup. Do not add any additional apps or anything else, and then see if you can setup Touch ID. If it does not work at that point, then you need to make a Genius Bar appointment as there is probably a hardware issue with the iPhone. You can also check this support document for other troubleshooting steps. If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2019 11:05 AM in response to neo-8

There is no option to downgrade. Apple does not support downgrading. I would try force closing the app, and then try again. You may also wish to make sure that you have a current backup created, then restore the iPhone to factory, set it up as new, and not use a backup. Do not add any additional apps or anything else, and then see if you can setup Touch ID. If it does not work at that point, then you need to make a Genius Bar appointment as there is probably a hardware issue with the iPhone. You can also check this support document for other troubleshooting steps. If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Sep 2, 2019 10:56 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks for your response.

My problem is that software will not allow me to add even ONE fingerprint. (see attached image). The options is greyed out and will not allow for a setup.

If I request to activate any of the "Use Touch ID for" options, by activating a button:

1) It takes me to a set up finger print screen for like a second.

2) It then pushes me a "Failed" to setup a fingerprint screen.

3) There is no way to stop this process. It is like I'm locked out of the setup process.

4) It is not a hardware issue. iOS 12.4.1 doesn't even give me the chance to use the button to setup a fingerprint.

I think I may have to downgrade from here.

iOS 12.4.1 not allowing Fingerprint setup for Touch ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.