Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac says update installed, but won't restart.

Mid 2011 iMac running MacOS High Sierra.

I recently had an issue installing a software update on my iMac. When installing the update, everything seemed to go fine, until it was time to restart the computer. Once the download of the update had completed, I clicked to restart the computer... it wen't to the usual grey apple screen, but then the progress bar stopped and hung up on the words "restarting". It never restarts... it just hangs there endlessly... I left it for 8 hours once to see if, due to age, it was just being slow. No progress. I can do a hard reset, and the computer starts up fine as normal and functions properly. The weird thing is, according to the info on my device, it says it installed. 10.13.6. and yet, every-time I use my computer, the app store is prompting me to restart to install the update that, apparently, it has installed. Is my 2011 iMac toast?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2019 10:31 PM

Try buoying your Mac into Safe Mode, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Safe Mode takes a few minutes to start up.

Are you running any apps that open when your Mac starts up that could be interfering with the installation of the Security Update, AV apps, Cleaning apps or similar.

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 5, 2019 3:39 AM in response to Jon Corry

No it shouldn't be toast. Where are you getting the information that the update is installed, if it is the App Store it can report incorrectly, instead click on the Apple top left of your screen, then click on About This Mac. click System Report, from the window that opens click Software then Installations, now click twice on Install Date so the list shows the most recent installs first.

If you were updating to macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, then try this instead, https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1970?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US once downloaded double-click to install. It is preferable to have your Mac connected to your router using a cabled connection in favour of WiFi as a cabled connection will provide a more robust connection and the download will be quicker. Also limit the access other devices have accessing your internet connection whilst the Mac is downloading.

Sep 5, 2019 4:02 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks again for your reply. It appears it's the security update. It has fully downloaded... when I click update it prompts to restart. When I do, it closes out and installs the file, but locks up on the restart process. I even downloaded it from Apple and tried to install it from the desktop, outside of the app store, and it produced the same effect. I also followed your instructions and deleted the .plist file... no luck, sadly.

Sep 5, 2019 6:32 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for the reply! When I click on the apple and go to system info it says 10.13.6 is installed. The App Store keeps popping up to tell me to restart to install it. I tried manually downloading the update via Apple’s website and manually installing it from the desktop. Same effect... it installs, but then gets hung up on the restart screen and never restarts. If I hard reset the computer, everything seems to be fine, but the App Store keeps reminding me that I need to restart to complete the install. Very odd.

Sep 5, 2019 6:56 AM in response to Jon Corry

Are you sure the problem happened when trying to install 10.13.6 or was it due to the recent Security Update

when you open the App Store, click on Store and then click on Unfinished Downloads and see what happens.

You can also try this, click on the Desktop to make Finder active, click on Go in the menubar, now select Go To Folder.

Enter this text,

~/Library/Application Support/App Store

press Go

a Finder window will open, there should be a file called updatejournal.plist move this file to the Trash

Restart your Mac, and when it has booted up open the App Store and see if it is still notifying

you to Restart.

iMac says update installed, but won't restart.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.