Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got an email saying in 24 hours I would be locked out of my Apple Account and the ID password would be changed automatically. I think it's a scam. Can somebody check my account for me?

I got an email saying in 24 hours I would be locked out of my Apple Account and the password would be automatically changed. I think it's a scam. How do I make sure. I haven't answered it.

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 4:21 PM

This is primarily a user-to-user support forum; other Apple users like yourself.

The email is a scam. Apple doesn't send emails like that.

Also see the following if you want to report the email to Apple: Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

6 replies

Oct 22, 2019 11:27 AM in response to PRSJmc

Apple ID is locked or disabled

If you have changed your ID or password, have you followed the steps in this article?

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support     

If necessary, contact Apple ID Support.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat    Work through the screens to get a chat option.  You may need to pick a problem that is slightly different than yours to get a chat option.  

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.          The form is for iTunes, but it will get passed to the ID Support section.  

Sep 1, 2019 5:24 PM in response to 12Bricks12

Apple won't send you an email/text telling you your account is disabled/restricted  or will be disabled/restricted. You will find out the next time you try to log in somewhere.

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers .

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Oct 7, 2019 10:44 AM in response to Nickyg68

Scam/phishing. Apple won't send you an email/text telling you your account is disabled/restricted  or will be disabled/restricted. You will find out the next time you try to log in somewhere.

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers .

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Oct 22, 2019 11:25 AM in response to Eric Root

I received an email yesterday, subject saying my apple account was locked, and no content in message part, but 3 attachments that were to help unlock. I did not open the 3, thinking it was malware, but this morning, was locked out. I looked at your answers, tried to send the email I got, but it automatically goes to spam. I am now using this forum to try and unlock it. Please help.

I got an email saying in 24 hours I would be locked out of my Apple Account and the ID password would be changed automatically. I think it's a scam. Can somebody check my account for me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.