Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Battery dying while computer is asleep

My MacBook air battery used to hold for a long time while the computer was asleep and not in use - now it runs down to nothing in a matter of days with no use. There are never any peripherals plugged into it. I'm not sure exactly when this started, but it was within the last 3~4 months.

Any help fixing this would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 5:43 PM

Even though your laptop is asleep, it can still wake up to process certain tasks. Is PowerNap enabled? Is the computer actually asleep or is an app or other process keeping the laptop awake? Check your other Energy Saver System Preferences. It is also possible a macOS or other software update has changed the behavior somehow.

Check the health of your battery by Option clicking on the battery icon. Any condition other than "Normal" or "Good" means the battery should be replaced.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test depending on the age of the laptop to check for battery issues.

You can also try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2019 5:43 PM in response to jakeborf

Even though your laptop is asleep, it can still wake up to process certain tasks. Is PowerNap enabled? Is the computer actually asleep or is an app or other process keeping the laptop awake? Check your other Energy Saver System Preferences. It is also possible a macOS or other software update has changed the behavior somehow.

Check the health of your battery by Option clicking on the battery icon. Any condition other than "Normal" or "Good" means the battery should be replaced.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test depending on the age of the laptop to check for battery issues.

You can also try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

Sep 5, 2019 4:18 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you @HWTech!

PowerNap had already been disabled by the time of my post. Battery health had been checked and is normal. Apple Diagnostics had been run and returned no issues.

At your suggestion, I performed both the SMC Reset and the PRAM/NVRAM reset. Not sure which did it, as I did both in sequence one evening, but since then the battery discharge while asleep has been minimal.

Thank you for the help, your suggestions worked for me.

Jake

Macbook Air Battery dying while computer is asleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.