Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iMac display go to edge of screen, or have 1-in black borders on all sides?

There are really 2 parts to this question. After owning the same Macbook Pro for 9 years, I just bought an iMac 21.5", and used a time machine backup of my MBP to set up my iMac. When I use my iMac now, which is the first time ever using it, there is a black border on all sides of the display, and all of the screen activity happens within it. If I drag my cursor to any side, it stops at the line where the border starts.

So, is this normal? I imagine it would be hard to make the display actually go all the way to the edge of the iMac monitor, but I want to make sure my iMac is working as it should. So the 2 questions are:

1. Is this just the normal functioning of an iMac?
  2. Are there any issues I should be on the lookout for since I used the Time Machine backup from one platform (Macbook) to set up another one (iMac). Everything seems to be ok but wondering if that is really the case.

Thanks in advance for any help!

In case it matters:

macOS Mojave, 10.14.4

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 7:44 PM

I have the 27 inch iMac and it has a black border so I would say that is normal

Similar questions

2 replies

Does iMac display go to edge of screen, or have 1-in black borders on all sides?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.