Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder and disk utility freezes after connecting Seagate external HD

Left a download from google drive into my HD overnight as the file was pretty big and the next morning i found that the download had been disrupted. Had to remove the HD as finder was unresponsive. Now I am unable to reconnect the HD or access the files on my macbook. The drive is still recognized, the space is still being occupied, but no files are visible. In addition, finder and disk utility will freeze/hang when I try to do anything more with it. Is this a problem with the downloads or the hard drive? It was working fine previously before I initiated this particular download.

I have about 900GB worth of data inside which I would like to retrieve or transfer to another hard drive, and I've read that deleting the suspected corrupted files may help, but how am I supposed to go about doing it without being able to read or view any files inside the hard drive? Are there any 3rd party tools that I can utilize? Thanks!

MacBook

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 10:54 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 2, 2019 1:23 AM in response to K Shaffer

I've tried safe mode as well, doesn't work as well. Only worked once and I was able to do first aid on it and it gave me a message basically saying that the disk can't be repaired and that I would have to back it up. Problem is I can't view or transfer the files into another hard drive. The drive is still visible when i connect it as per normal, but it is unable to be ejected unless i restart the computer.

Sep 2, 2019 1:38 AM in response to alt31

Could a utility such as superduper or carbon copy cloner, make a copy of the drive without

unplugging it? Then if possible, the data could be restored from a clone/copy. These items

are best backed-up to have good workable copy, by one means or another, before trouble.

(Disk Utility in your Mac can be helpful to try un-mount or re-mount volumes such as

the external hard drive; yet damaged files may require other effort to resolve them.)

To work toward isolating issues and protect the Mac from whatever an external drive may

cause (damages to system and main user files) should be of higher priority. However that

is like most of us, problems arise when least expected; or when the backup tools also fail.

Sorry, haven't an idea on what to try now; I've other things happening offline, at 12:30AM.

Sep 2, 2019 1:06 AM in response to alt31

Not sure if you could use safe mode/restart, and while the external drive is attached,

use the mac system's Disk Utility to see if you can unmount the external that way.

Once unmounted, it may be possible to re-start the mac and not have this issue.

Be sure to unplug the external before the full restart; or at some later interval so the

files may not be messed up due to this untimely dis/connection.

Other ideas come to mind, but I keep getting distractions & it's getting very late here.

Good luck & happy trails!🌞

Sep 2, 2019 6:19 PM in response to alt31

Was the external drive formatted as HFS+ or APFS? If the drive was formatted as HFS+, then you may be able to repair the file system using Disk Warrior (paid app). I've used Disk Warrior for years to repair HFS+ volumes with great success.

If it was formatted as APFS, then you may need to contact a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Kroll OnTrack both of which are recommend by Apple and other OEMS, plus the provide free estimates. Apple hasn't released the APFS documentation so that third party drive utilities can repair an APFS volume.

You should be careful making modifications to the drive as you may make it more difficult for a professional data recovery service to recover data.

FYI, If you cannot unmount a drive, it is better to restart your computer instead of unplugging a mounted drive.

Sep 3, 2019 6:01 PM in response to alt31

It has been a while since I had to repair a disk in such a condition using Disk Warrior, but I believe it can repair some HFS+ volumes that will not mount, but there is never a guarantee it can fix every problem.

I don't know how DW is distributed these days since I just copy the app (already purchased by our organization) onto my customized macOS utility drive. I don't know if they distribute it on CD or if they provide a bootable USB drive. If you need to repair your boot drive, then you need to make sure DW ships with bootable media or instructions on how to create a bootable drive. If you only need to repair your external drive, then you can just run the app from your boot drive.

Finder and disk utility freezes after connecting Seagate external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.