Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grouping of long notes in score

I'm working in 7/8 group 2+2+3 With notes that last a bar I want them displayed 1/2 note tied to dotted 1/4 note. But Logic only allows dotted 1/2 tied to an 1/8 note. Is ther any way to change this. Logic isn't very clever in compound time signatures generally.

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 3, 2019 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2019 10:21 AM

And what if it did it your way and I wanted it the way it is..... There is no right or wrong - just a default way. And of course you can change it - you can make it any way you like it.. Just insert a user rest after the 4th beat and that is where the tie will begin... You can make it tie any note value to any note value..... - I would call that very very clever :)....

( just having a little fun with my response.... ) hope that helps you solve your issue.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2019 10:21 AM in response to Psalm48

And what if it did it your way and I wanted it the way it is..... There is no right or wrong - just a default way. And of course you can change it - you can make it any way you like it.. Just insert a user rest after the 4th beat and that is where the tie will begin... You can make it tie any note value to any note value..... - I would call that very very clever :)....

( just having a little fun with my response.... ) hope that helps you solve your issue.

Sep 5, 2019 10:41 AM in response to Indyuser

Hi, thanks, that's very useful. However, you are wrong to imply that there isn't a correct way to group notes in compound time signatures. In 9/8 for example there are 3 beats in the bar, each a dotted 1/4 note. So if I fill a bar with a note it should be a dotted 1/2 note tied to a dotted 1/4 indicating where the beats lie. It should not be a whole note tied to an 1/8 note. I specifically grouped my time signature 2+2+3, so if the program was just a bit more intelligent it would default to that grouping in bar length notes. However, I do thank you for your work-around. It's a bit weird that you have to insert an invisible rest. How is anyone supposed to figure that out?

Grouping of long notes in score

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.