Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I have to update Microsoft Office to 64 bit, will it change the way my products look/operate? will I have to purchase this or is it just an update?

If I have to update Microsoft Office to 64 bit, will it change the way my products look/operate? will I have to purchase this or is it just an update?

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 5:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 5:55 AM

Office 2016, 2019, and Office 365 are 64 bit.

Previous versions are no longer supported by Microsoft and are known to have problems, if they run at all, on Mojave.

It is NOT a free upgrade. You will have to purchase a standalone version or an Office 365 subscription from Microsoft if you want to upgrade.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2019 5:55 AM in response to mamamiag

Office 2016, 2019, and Office 365 are 64 bit.

Previous versions are no longer supported by Microsoft and are known to have problems, if they run at all, on Mojave.

It is NOT a free upgrade. You will have to purchase a standalone version or an Office 365 subscription from Microsoft if you want to upgrade.

Sep 4, 2019 6:25 AM in response to mamamiag

As indicated by dialabrain you only need to upgrade Office if you will be switching to the new macOS Catalina when it is released.

If you do decide to upgrade then if you currently have an Office365 subscription this subscription always gives you the ability to upgrade to the latest version as part of that monthly subscription cost.

If you have the older style one-off purchase of an Office license then you either have to buy an Office365 monthly subscription or if it is still available. (Even if a perpetual Office license is still available today as far as I am aware Microsoft intend to discontinue this approach very soon.)

Yes the newer version will look different.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.