Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Software Update for Windows

I noticed that Apple Software Update for Windows does not work properly in Windows 10, it does not search for updates, only in Windows 7 is all right, what reason?

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 8:37 AM

11 replies

Sep 4, 2019 9:05 AM in response to InforTRIQS

Didn't we deal with that here? If you're running the Microsoft Store version of iTunes on Windows 10 then Apple Software Update isn't used to update iTunes, nor will it see iTunes as being installed, so it won't check for updates for it. It should still check for any other Apple software components that are correctly installed and registered using the traditional .msi installers.

tt2

Sep 4, 2019 6:49 PM in response to InforTRIQS

For the third time of asking, what builds of what components do you have installed? I might be able to provide an explanation of why the software isn't updating, but only with that information. I've noted previously that some installs of iTunes are designed to deliberately prevent the search for further updates, notably the out of sequence iTunes 12.6.3-12.6.5 versions that restore the app management tools that were removed in iTunes 12.7. I'm not party to any inside information, but iTunes has dependencies on AAS, AMDS & Bonjour. Updating these without updating iTunes at the same time might break iTunes, so ASU may focus on iTunes, and then let it update other components as required.

You can get the latest version of any of the .MSI installers by downloading the current versions of iTunes and/or iCloud, and unpacking them. Details at Install missing components. Direct download links to the latest setup files can be found in comments at the very bottom of that page.

tt2

Sep 5, 2019 2:50 AM in response to InforTRIQS

You've still failed to mention which version numbers of the components you have installed on which machine. If you've installed Bonjour and QuickTime then you should also have Apple Application Support (32-bit) and Apple Software Update. Apple have stopped development of QuickTime and the standalone Bonjour installation, so it is no real surprise that ASU doesn't offer updates for either.

I've yet to see any evidence that Apple Software Update doesn't properly work on Windows 10. My own test shows that it does. If you still think you've found a bug of some kind you can report it using Product Feedback - Apple.

tt2

Sep 4, 2019 5:25 PM in response to InforTRIQS

My copy of Windows 7 has the following components installed:

• Apple Application Support (32-bit) - 7.6
  • Apple Application Support (64-bit) - 7.6
  • Apple Mobile Device Support - 12.2.1.12
  • Apple Software Update - 2.6.0.1
  • Bonjour - 3.1.0.1
  • iCloud - 7.13.0.14
  • iTunes - 12.9.6.3

ASU tells me that my software is up to date, and closes when I click OK.

I can't double check the Windows 10 box right now, but as noted I'd installed iTunes 12.9.3.3 earlier, which ASU registers as having an update available. It also offers iCloud which isn't installed on that system.

tt2

Sep 4, 2019 9:46 AM in response to turingtest2

I'm not using Apple's existing apps in the Microsoft Store, I don't use iTunes or iCloud.

This here is another topic, I did not succeed with the player, the two versions are with the same error.

My questioning here is for the reason of not being able to upgrade via Apple Software Update by Windows 10, I have to go to the Apple website to download

Sep 4, 2019 2:19 PM in response to InforTRIQS

I've just installed an older version of iTunes here on a Windows 10 box, and Apple Software Update finds updates for it. Exactly which software from Apple do you have installed and listed under Programs and Features (not Apps & Features), and what is the version number of each component? Perhaps Apple Software Update isn't working correctly for you, or it is working correctly but not meeting your expectations. FWIW it is currently offering to update iTunes from 12.9.3 to 12.9.6 and install iCloud for Windows 7.13.0 (not currently installed). If I recall ASU in the last build that worked on Vista wouldn't update itself properly leaving people incorrectly stuck on that build unless they actively installed a newer version. Likewise the 12.6.3-12.6.5 builds of iTunes disable update notifications for 12.7 or later intentionally.

tt2

Sep 4, 2019 5:53 PM in response to turingtest2

I knew that there was a mistake here, my Apple Software Update does not find this version 2.6.0, this may be the cause of it not working perfectly on my Windows, normally it should show me that there is this update

One more detail, he also does not find this version of Bonjour 3.1.0, why does it happen? The mission of Apple Software would not update these full?

Apple Software Update for Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.