Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I store data in iCloud and how do I do it?

I need more storage. Can I store data in iCloud and how do I do it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 9:54 AM

You can’t store data in iCloud and then remove it from your phone to free up space on the device. That is not how iCloud works. iCloud keeps data in sync across your devices and it does allow you to save a little bit of storage with regard to photos, if you use iCloud Photos, but it is not archival or off device storage. If you delete data in iCloud you delete it everywhere, unless you archive the data and store it on a computer. If you do that, then you can delete it from the phone.

You need to either buy a phone with more local storage or delete some content from the phone.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2019 9:54 AM in response to Peel1965

You can’t store data in iCloud and then remove it from your phone to free up space on the device. That is not how iCloud works. iCloud keeps data in sync across your devices and it does allow you to save a little bit of storage with regard to photos, if you use iCloud Photos, but it is not archival or off device storage. If you delete data in iCloud you delete it everywhere, unless you archive the data and store it on a computer. If you do that, then you can delete it from the phone.

You need to either buy a phone with more local storage or delete some content from the phone.

Sep 14, 2019 3:58 AM in response to Peel1965

You need to delete content on the phone in order to have more available space. You cannot add physical storage to the phone so your only alternative is to remove content to free up space.

Take a look at this.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

This one may be helpful as well.

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

Can I store data in iCloud and how do I do it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.