Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Key not working, cannot login, no Apple menu option

Hi, I think I may have got water on my keyboard yesterday and now the T key is not working. Annoyingly my password contains this character so I can’t login. I’m trying to work out how to open the virtual keyboard but I don’t even have an option to open the Apple menu, this is all it will give me. There’s not even an option to restart or anything, the screen just goes black if I press cancel.

Unfortunately im not sure what system this is on either, the MacBook is old. Hopefully someone recognises it.

Would love any advice on how to login, fix the key or even open the Apple menu. Thank you.

(sorry for the blurry picture my iPhone camera is also broken, not having the best time with Apple right now ha)

MacBook

Posted on Sep 5, 2019 12:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2019 11:50 AM

I think you will need another keyboard as suggested above, but something to try since they don't require the T key.

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time. You may need to do this 2-3 times.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Try a SMC reset. The article covers when this is required, but doing this will not affect anything. 

Reset SMC

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2019 11:50 AM in response to JessBosley

I think you will need another keyboard as suggested above, but something to try since they don't require the T key.

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time. You may need to do this 2-3 times.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Try a SMC reset. The article covers when this is required, but doing this will not affect anything. 

Reset SMC

Key not working, cannot login, no Apple menu option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.