Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a PIN number for my Apple Credit Card?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 5, 2019 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 7:45 AM

I just spoke to someone at Goldman Sachs which is the company that handles Apple Card re: PIN number and was told that when asked for a pin to type in all zeros. We’ll see if that is true but I still think they should allow us to create personalized pins

27 replies

Sep 11, 2019 8:10 AM in response to rudy93

I asked the same question of Apple/GS in an iMessage chat session and the answer was "Apple Card doesn't have a PIN."

Using a PIN to authenticate a credit card transaction is unknown in the U.S. but occasionally required outside the U.S. We visited Iceland in Aug 2019. The Apple card in the phone worked perfectly on the touchless terminals used at most places. But I could not use Apple Card at rural N1 gas stations with automated-payment terminals, which required a PIN with a credit card.

Please Apple and Goldie, allow travelers to create a PIN.

Oct 9, 2019 10:55 AM in response to rudy93

Isn't pretty much every developed country apart from the US using or moving towards the more secure, modern Chip-and-Pin system to secure credit card payments these days? So if not having access to the card's PIN is by design, does that mean the physical Apple credit card is intended only for US domestic use?

Contactless pay terminals aren't a real alternative, as they generally will ask for a PIN if the cash amount for a single transaction is above a certain limit or if the sum of all transactions done without a PIN exceeds a higher limit.

Please Apple, let us have access to that card PIN.

Sep 19, 2019 6:22 PM in response to rudy93

Confirming the above problem.

While traveling overseas, most POS systems (particularly in 3rd world countries) don't have Tap Pay systems to use Apple Wallet.

As such, a physical credit card is needed to make purchases.

Typically, overseas credit card purchases under a certain dollar amount (e.g. $100) don't trigger a PIN code. However, I recently attempted to use the Apple Card for a $20 credit card purchase in Australia which triggered a PIN code request. The card chip mechanism didn't work so I used the traditional magnetic strip swipe process.

Note: Australia does have a mature Tap Pay system but I just wanted to see if the physical Apple Card would actually work as an experiment. Sadly it didn't.

It would be great if PIN Code creation be added as a feature to enable Apple Card usage while traveling.

Oct 19, 2019 6:59 AM in response to rudy93

I travel extensively in Europe as well as in the developing world.

Most of the time when you present a US credit card for payment in a shop or restaurant the credit card machine (usually a hand held unit) will automatically print out a second receipt for a signature instead of asking for a PIN. This may annoy the cashier or server who now has to go find a pen, but it generally works.

At self service units like gas pumps, you are stuck if you don’t have a chip and pin card of some kind. I usually use my debit card.

It would be great if Apple/Goldman Sachs could provide a PIN for international travel.

Oct 11, 2019 10:41 AM in response to anypats

Please tell us how they did that, as I am told by reliable sources that a PIN may be required for all of my credit (and debit) cards in Europe. It is apparently different than the protocols used here in the US where PINs are only needed with debit cards. I would really like to use my Apple Card at standard terminals in Italy. Although contactless pay exists there, it is not universal.

Oct 12, 2019 6:09 PM in response to anypats

Sure, if you only ever try to use the physical card at places that also accept Chip-And-Signature, it'll work. Touristy restaurants come to mind. Provided the person looking at the signature accepts that they can't verify the signature since you can't sign the titanium card. At an unattended gas station for instance, you'll need the PIN.

As for contactless payment, when I was posting I didn't realize that the GS card doesn't even have that feature. I guess Apple really wants us to use our phones for paying with the physical card not intended to be a fully featured credit card.

Oct 12, 2019 6:37 PM in response to anypats

For small sums, the EMV Payment Tokenisation system (which I gather is also used by ApplePay) will generally work without asking for PIN for physical cards with this technology also, so I'd expect the in-phone Apple Card to do the same.

The interesting question is what happens if you try to make a payment exceeding the limits listed in HT207435.

But HT207883 seems to imply that any 4 digit PIN will work.

Dec 7, 2019 7:23 AM in response to Jay Hulbert

I also travel to Europe quite a bit especially the UK and completely agree that there are many situations where apple pay is not supported and a pin is required for credit (not debit) cards which renders the Apple card useless if it will not support a pin. So I just called in and can confirm I was advised to enter four 0's for pin however cautioned this may not work and to carry an alternative form of payment. If it does work then it's crazy insecure if the card gets lost or stolen, if it doesn't then its not worth carrying the card.

The good news is there are other credit cards available in the US that are more travel friendly and support PIN. That's the one going with me, Apple card stays in the US until it supports a unique pin.

Jan 29, 2020 10:22 PM in response to rudy93

I believe Apple Card support doesn’t have a clarity on this question and also looks like the card can technically be used only in the US. I tried to use the Apple Card at the Dubai airport and it asked me for a PIN. Unfortunately, I was not able to do the transaction without a PIN and I used another card for the successful payment. Only the US has credit cards being used without a PIN and most of the countries like India, UAE, Australia and European countries require PIN for a credit card as well.

If I’m wrong and if Apple really has the ability for PIN creation, I would be more than happy if Apple posts the proper and straightforward answer for this instead of saying try 0000 or last 4 digits of credit card number, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.