Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery partition gone can't download new operating system

Problem:

System hard drive was formatted and when I try to download new OS wirelessly I keep getting errors.

Solution:

Plug computer into router with network cable

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 8:17 PM

That globe means that it is attempting to boot into internet recovery which is listed in the link above (I think). Internet recovery is run completely from the internet and bypasses any hardware or hard drive based recovery partitions. Sometimes you can do it over WiFi but, it is recommended that you plug the computer in directly to speed up the process.

I am glad that you were able to resolve your issue!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2019 8:17 PM in response to Antares4141

That globe means that it is attempting to boot into internet recovery which is listed in the link above (I think). Internet recovery is run completely from the internet and bypasses any hardware or hard drive based recovery partitions. Sometimes you can do it over WiFi but, it is recommended that you plug the computer in directly to speed up the process.

I am glad that you were able to resolve your issue!

Sep 6, 2019 8:07 PM in response to GSTRIB5

Actually I wasn't able to boot into mac OS recovery mode because the recovery partition was gone also. I went into disk utility and formatted the system drive thinking I would not need it anymore. It wiped out the restore partition when I did this.

So all I was able to do was boot into the window with the globe, which I presume was running off of the bios. It did have wireless capability but wouldn't prompt me to choose a network and enter a password.

So after fumbling for about an hour I finally realized I could plug it directly into the router and would not need to select a network and enter in a password. And was able to download Mojave and restore the computer to factory settings. Or the new owner I gave the computer to was able to do this anyways. I left after I got the computer to start downloading the OS. She said she successfully got it running.

Recovery partition gone can't download new operating system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.