Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Card Denial

Hello everyone!

I have a question. So I've applied for the Apple Card about 7 or so times over the course of the last three or so weeks. I keep getting the response that I'm being denied due to my "monthly debt obligations are too high given your income - examples may include loan or monthly housing payments". Upon getting this after the second attempt, I contacted Apple. They couldn't come up with an answer and put me in touch with TransUnion, the credit bureau that Apple Card and Goldman Sachs use. Before doing so, they told me that I could apply multiple times and as often as I'd like and it won't affect my credit score and maybe it would work and go through. Well, they connected me with a rep at TransUnion and after verifying who I was, was told they couldn't talk to me fully about my credit report due to confidentiality concerns, but they could send me my report. I said okay, that way I can look for any errors. It arrived and sure enough, no errors. My credit score is in the high 700's, no debt/loans, everything is paid on time and in full. So, I just applied again and it sent me an email stating "You have applied a number of times so we cannot verify the information you have provided at this time"... Are you serious..? So I called Apple again and ran through all this and the rep told me to wait 30 days and try again... So I'm still sitting here with no reason as to why I'm being denied... Does anyone have any suggestions or run into the same issue? I'm quite frustrated at this point in time. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

- Austin

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 5:46 PM

HI go here - How your Apple Card application is evaluated - Apple Support

We are fellow users like you. Apple is not here.

Similar questions

28 replies

Sep 11, 2019 1:35 PM in response to KiltedTim

Lol. Yes, thank you for that. I’m glad you’re here to clarify that no one here works for Apple or represents GS.... idk what we would do without you 😂

1. I’m very aware that the credit report doesn’t update instantly.
  2. I’ve contacted everybody that has been suggested to me (by Apple) and have no answers.
  3. I’m not speculating. I asked if anybody else has run into this issue to see if it’s just me, or if there’s others as well. Yes, I’m asking for suggestions, but only based on what people have experienced because I’ve gotten no answers from the “official” outlets.

Sep 8, 2019 1:36 PM in response to TheRambo0413

Yes, you DO have debt. Your credit card outstanding balance WHILE YOU ARE AWAITING A STATEMENT is debt. That fact was hammered on to me when my wife charged $5000 worth of dental bills on my CC. My FICO dropped twenty points and stayed there until I paid the statement. If I really cared, I could have paid early but things like that don't bother me.

Sep 11, 2019 1:17 PM in response to TheRambo0413

Certainly, you don't always have a credit balance. There's a reason why this is referred to as credit HISTORY. However, that means NOTHING because it is likely that you've used your credit card after the closing date for the statement and therefore you have debt.

Your debt is NOT counted from the time a statement is issued. You have a debt the instant that you use your credit card and that debt remains until you pay the CC company.

Sep 11, 2019 1:26 PM in response to TheRambo0413

Your credit report does NOT update instantly when you pay your bill.

You would have to see EXACTLY what was pulled at the moment that GS pulled it to see why they made the determination they did.

Speculating about what may or may not have happened here is pointless. This is a technical forum.

No one here works for Apple and no one here represents GS.

Sep 11, 2019 1:42 PM in response to Philly_Phan

No, of course I don’t. Which is why I said “this past month” and not “every month”.

I get how credit cards work. I get how debt works. I’m not an idiot lol but if the reason I’m being denied is because I have debt (even though I pay in full every month) then EVERYONE would/should be getting denied. I get that even though I pay in full every month, I’m still in debt. Because I’ve used my card between when my statement was sent and me receiving/paying it off. It my point is, I always pay in full and I always pay on time. It’s not like if my bill is 2,000 I only pay the minimum or 1,500. I pay the full 2k right when it’s sent to me. That’s my point. So if I’m being denied because I’m always in debt, then everyone would be getting denied because that’s how it works for everyone. So I don’t really understand or get what you’re saying or how it’s helping... lol

Sep 11, 2019 1:51 PM in response to TheRambo0413

I'll type slowly...

The INSTANT that you incur a charge on your credit card, you have a debt. That debt is not cleared unless and until you pay the CC company.

Yes, everybody that uses credit cards is in debt all or most of the time. The question is how much in debt and how much in debt in comparison to your income. If you earn $50,000 per year and charge a $20,000 vacation on your card, your debt AT THAT TIME is excessive compared to your income.

Sep 12, 2019 2:24 PM in response to TheRambo0413

So you're saying that each month you bring in about $1167. And of course after taxes your take home is going to be less. If your monthly credit card bill is around $600 then you are spending more than 50% of your monthly income on your credit card. I can't say for sure that is why you're being denied but I would put a bet on it that's the reason.

Sep 25, 2019 5:43 PM in response to TheRambo0413

I have been denied as well. The answer to this is the bank that the card goes through is looking for low dept compared to income. So even tho we have a great score. Pay bills and loans on time, And no late payment...We and you would need to pay most of the cards and loans off so there the balance is low to be approved Total balance ( dept) to income. If you make 100,000 a year and you card and loans ( all that is financed) is 50,000 then you have a 50% debt and that is no good. Understand?

Sep 25, 2019 5:53 PM in response to DJDaBomB

Hey DJ! Thank you for the response. So I understand that 100%. Thing is, I pay off my credit card bill every month, which is the only true debt I have. I'm currently living at home due to some health issues so my outgo is very very low. I don't have house payments or car payments. I even put in $100,000 for income on the application as a test (though I don't make that) and I was still denied. My monthly bill is no more than $800 a month (so $9,600 a year) and I pay that off every time. I understand that the second I use my credit card I'm in debt, but again, that's literally all I have. And normally my bill isn't anymore than $500. So I just am not understanding why if the only debt I have is ~$800 a month and even when I put in $100,000 for annual income, why I would still be getting denied.

Sep 25, 2019 6:03 PM in response to TheRambo0413

If you don't have a mortgage showing up on your credit report, banks may (and do) estimate what your reasonable living expenses should be based on the cost of living in your area. You may not have house or car payments, and you may not have to pay anything at all for rent or utilities if you're living with other relatives, but that's not something that shows up on any credit report. Of course now that you've falsified (by a pretty big margin I would guess), your chances of getting the card are probably pretty much nil at this point.

The Apple Card is not particularly 'special' when it comes to creditworthiness decisions made by issuing banks. It is 'special' in that it is GS's first real foray into consumer lending, but that's about it.

Do you regularly get offers for credit cards in the mail? Or indications that you are pre-approved to apply for a loan from the likes of lending tree or payoff.com? If so, that's a good indicator that you are not generally considered a good credit risk, regardless of your score. There's much more to getting approved for credit than just your score.

Just move on from it. There are plenty of other cards out there you might qualify for, including cards that offer higher cash back payouts.

Dec 3, 2019 8:42 PM in response to TheRambo0413

tried waited 30 days tried again same thing unable to verify identification information i call them many time and the verify my info and tell me to apply again and than i get the too many times is a joke i gave up and applied for amex blue cash everyday and got approved instantly got a better rewards program and a good intro bonus with out any hassle im done with apple next time i upgrade my devices i wont be getting any more apple thats for sure

Dec 3, 2019 8:51 PM in response to rotnappl3

Everyone should always get the credit card that best suits their needs and should get the phone that best suits their needs. If the best phone is a non- Apple device then by all means get it.

Also remember that it’s not Apple approving or denying. It’s Goldman Sachs and this is their first time using a credit card.

Apple Card Denial

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.