You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to enable the light sensor inside Windows 10?

I'm running Windows 10 Pro on my 13 " MacBook Pro (late 2011) and want to access the light sensor via the Windows API. But they reports me, the user (I) had disabled it.

How can I enable the light sensor inside Windows 10 manually?

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 5:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 1:21 AM

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on System.
  3. Click on Display.
  4. Under “Brightness and color,” if you can check the Change brightness automatically when lighting changes option, then a light sensor is available on your device.

I have use best cheapest office chairs at time4buying. This is one of the best.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2019 1:21 AM in response to Community User

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on System.
  3. Click on Display.
  4. Under “Brightness and color,” if you can check the Change brightness automatically when lighting changes option, then a light sensor is available on your device.

I have use best cheapest office chairs at time4buying. This is one of the best.

Sep 8, 2019 1:13 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, the driver is installed and works fine. I can activate the automatic brightness of Windows 10 and it will change automatically.

But of my old MacBook there is no well working Boot Camp driver available. Because of this, by activating the automatic brightness, the display does not show 100 % brightness. This is a know issue, discussed in several forums.

So I would like to develope my own automatic for the Windows brightness. For this, I need to access the lighting sensor...

Sep 9, 2019 1:15 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, I'm logged in as a user with Administrator rights inside the user settings.

The Driver of the light sensor is listed as fine inside the device manager and I checked, if the latest update is installed.

But I'm unsure, what do you mean with "Computer Services"? Inside the "Windows Services" there are two services, related to sensors. By default, they do not run. While they do not run, the automatic brightness of Windows works as well. For debugging of my own application, I started both services - without any change. They are called "Sensor service" and "Sensor data service".

So imho, I think, I checked my system as well. My Question was, if there is any setting inside Windows, to re-allow a before blocked usage of the light sensor. An option to do this, I didn't find inside Windows (10)...

Sep 9, 2019 1:41 AM in response to roy7854

I don't have that option there, even I saw it on screen shots of other users while looking for a solution.

But inside the (new) Settings of Windows, I have the option to check automatic brightness. ([Start] -> Settings -> System -> Display -> Change brightness automatically of changed lighting environment). Like mentioned before, this works fine on my system. But by activation that option, the maximal available brightness is much darker, then without activating that option. Inside several other forums of other users with an old MacBook Pro, I know this is a problem of the Boot Camp drivers from Apple for Windows 10. But Apples marked my old MacBook Pro (late 2011) as "not compatible" with Windows 10.

... everything else than the automatic brightness and the automatic installation of the Boot Camp drivers works well inside Windows 10 on this MacBook. Because of this, I would like to write my own application to change the brightness automatically. But to do this, I need to read the light sensor inside this application. I'm trying to use the Windows API of sensors.

How to enable the light sensor inside Windows 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.