Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folders on iPad & iPhone

Is there away to put a sync able folder on my iMac and my iPad & iPhone that I can put files in of multiple types and when I click on it in my iPad etc. it will select the proper program to open the file?

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 11:22 AM

3 replies

Sep 7, 2019 12:33 PM in response to QuickPost

And as we have seen on the news cloud storage systems are major targets for online hackers. I know I can do this using iCloud, but as I think my phone and iPad as an individual platform are less a target for hackers I would like to strictly do this on my iPad and my iPhone without using the cloud as I do on my iMac.

Sep 7, 2019 3:34 PM in response to Skipb

Hello,

While Apple’s iCloud Drive has never been hacked by an outside entity, I do understand wanting to be cautious with your data. The best solution will be to start a file server on your Macintosh using SMB. All the software is preinstalled on your Mac so all you’ll have to do is turn it on in System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing. On your iPhone and iPad you will then connect to your iMac through an SMB client. Apple has announced that as apart of this fall’s iPadOS 13 and iOS 13 release that the Files application on iPhone and iPad will be able to connect to SMB file shares. You will find this to be the most elegant solution. In Files you will be able to open these files in supported applications as well as save them locally to device.

Folders on iPad & iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.