Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Iphone 7 plus has lost sound I have tried plugging headset into phone and it did bring back sound but only for short time.

My Iphone 7 plus has lost sound I have tried plugging headset into phone and it did bring back sound but only for short time. Now the sound icon is grayed out when I try to call someone. Updates are all up to date and have restarted several times. I would appreciate your help.

Bill

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 1:05 PM

Hello,

Hmm, start here:

1) Check the silent button above the volume buttons.  Do you see red?  If so, move the slider.

2) Is Do Not Disturb on?  Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb.  Is it turned on?  Check the times.

3) Go to Settings > Notifications > Messages.  It is turned on?

4) Go to Settings > Sound & Haptics.  Change the "Text Tone" to a different sound.  Does it make a sound?

Also see:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker 

If you can‘t hear a person on a call or voicemail or if the sound isn‘t clear on your iPhone

Good luck.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2019 1:05 PM in response to Knifemanbill

Hello,

Hmm, start here:

1) Check the silent button above the volume buttons.  Do you see red?  If so, move the slider.

2) Is Do Not Disturb on?  Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb.  Is it turned on?  Check the times.

3) Go to Settings > Notifications > Messages.  It is turned on?

4) Go to Settings > Sound & Haptics.  Change the "Text Tone" to a different sound.  Does it make a sound?

Also see:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker 

If you can‘t hear a person on a call or voicemail or if the sound isn‘t clear on your iPhone

Good luck.

Dec 15, 2019 10:52 PM in response to LavenderLove

i have the same issue as of today. what the **** Apple!! I also did everything listed above which is rubbish. There is a number of posts about this worldwide and Apple are denying the problem is a major software issue

And although it says solved. none of them are!!!!!

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/483625/iPhone+7+speaker+icon+greyed+out

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/535435/Speaker+button+greyed+out

is just 2 that came up in a quick search

Dec 23, 2019 9:00 AM in response to iphone7speakergreyedout

I have the same issue that I have been dealing with apple for the last year. My iPhone 7plus has a grayed out speaker which works for a while after updating and then goes out again. I was told by Apple multiple times there is no known issue with these phones. I have had two 7 plus' with the same issue. They are outright lying about it. I am so frustrated with them. They never stand behind their products. These phone are so expensive but they find every excuse to blame the customer and it's never their fault. They have saturated the market so extensively that's its impossible not to use their products and then when something goes wrong, it's never their fault. I am so sick of Apple. Looking for a better option.

My Iphone 7 plus has lost sound I have tried plugging headset into phone and it did bring back sound but only for short time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.