Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XR water resistance

I used my XR in the pool for couple seconds and this is the screen. The part that looks weird getting bigger and bigger. Is this normal?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 3:59 AM

Hi alicemkayar, I advise you first to make a backup on iCloud or iTunes to save your data. The iPhone in question is water resistant and declared by Apple with IP67 certification. I advise you to go to an Apple Store or Authorized center where technicians can view the iPhone to see if there is damage inside the device. I am sure they will be available and will answer all your questions. I remain available for further questions.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2019 3:59 AM in response to y_p_w

Hi alicemkayar, I advise you first to make a backup on iCloud or iTunes to save your data. The iPhone in question is water resistant and declared by Apple with IP67 certification. I advise you to go to an Apple Store or Authorized center where technicians can view the iPhone to see if there is damage inside the device. I am sure they will be available and will answer all your questions. I remain available for further questions.

Sep 8, 2019 8:26 PM in response to alicemkayar

alicemkayar wrote:

IP67 means the unit can be dropped into a body of water up to a meter deep for half an hour, while IP68 guarantees protection in water up to 1.5m deep for the same period of time. Both are resistant to dust.

This phone wasn’t even in the pool. It was in my hand, outside the water and my hands were wet.....

You telling me that having wet hands is worse than dropping it to a meter deep water?

There is never a "guarantee". This paragraph just about covers everything, but similar language is found in all iPhone warranty terms.

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support
iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes). iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus have a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 1 meter up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty, but you might have rights under consumer law.

Sep 7, 2019 6:42 PM in response to Lyssa

IP67 means the unit can be dropped into a body of water up to a meter deep for half an hour, while IP68 guarantees protection in water up to 1.5m deep for the same period of time. Both are resistant to dust.

This phone wasn’t even in the pool. It was in my hand, outside the water and my hands were wet.....

You telling me that having wet hands is worse than dropping it to a meter deep water?

Sep 7, 2019 7:02 PM in response to alicemkayar

No, that is not what those ratings mean. They do not drop the phone into the water, it is gently placed in water up to the depth specified and left there. There is no pressure, the water is pure, not moving and kept at a consistent temperature.

You took yours into a pool (did you carefully and slowly lower it in) and pools have chemicals in them.

Regardless, your warranty does not cover moisture damage. It is assumed if it was damaged it exceeded the water resistance. And there is no way to determine how it was water damaged.

Sep 8, 2019 6:37 PM in response to alicemkayar

The certification is done under ideal circumstances with brand-new phones. Apple does not warranty against water damage, which shows how much they trust the certification standard. As phones are used in many different environmental conditions, the seals that provide this water resistance are likely to deteriorate over time, perhaps even rapidly. And yes, it is possible for some water on one's hand to be driven into the phone by the pressure of holding it. Bottom line: never intentionally expose a phone to liquid.

XR water resistance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.