Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recovering / reclaiming space from an encrypted sparse bundle

Hi All

I created an encrypted sparse bundle to work on some sensitive files. the drive can expand up to 3 gigs.

before I start using it. I'm trying to learn how to use it. to make sure I don't loose anything.

How would I recover or reclaim space in the bundle once I delete files? Is there a way to safely do it with disk utility? trying to avoid the command line or third party software.

I'm running OS X ver. 10.14.6 .

Thank you.

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 4:52 PM

The easiest way to get the proper path necessary to the sparse bundle is by beginning to type the command in the Terminal and leaving a space at the end:

hdiutil  compact  

Then dragging & dropping the sparse bundle you want compacted from the Finder onto the Terminal window which should automatically fill in the path to your sparse bundle. Then you just need to press "Return" in the Terminal to activate the command.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2019 4:52 PM in response to ---In2Ndo---__

The easiest way to get the proper path necessary to the sparse bundle is by beginning to type the command in the Terminal and leaving a space at the end:

hdiutil  compact  

Then dragging & dropping the sparse bundle you want compacted from the Finder onto the Terminal window which should automatically fill in the path to your sparse bundle. Then you just need to press "Return" in the Terminal to activate the command.

recovering / reclaiming space from an encrypted sparse bundle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.