Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13” mid 2012 - Everything says it does support usb 3.0…

However, I just purchased a eSata to USB 3.0 cable for my WD 1.5TB external HD to connect to my mid 2012 MacBook Pro.

So I connected the external, and my speeds, couldn’t have been anywhere near eSata transfer and i don’t think usb 3.0. However, in my “about my Mac” it says that I have two usb 2.0 ports. And then a third comes up (only two ports tho) for a USB 3.0 as I’ll show from screen.

So, how do we know if the 13 inch mid 2012 is usb 3.0. I mean, the ports aren’t blue like the usb wires are. Means really nothing I guess when usb 3.0 was initially released. But maybe my question can simply be answered by the screen shot.

The main question is, why could it have still taken probably a full 25 hours to do a full (and yes first backup on that particular drive). Maybe on future backups I can expert speeds of something remotely close to the advertised 5 gigabit/sec of USB 3.0. Yes it was about 260 GB data backup with my original 2012 HD.

And or, is there a problem with the eSata to usb 3.0 cable? I doubt that tho. Brand new. Made by StarTech.

Is this the ideal cord for faster transfers, or should I be considering a Thunderbolt (1st. Gen for mid 2012 13” ?)

to eSata cable ?

Im wondering why it still took so long to transfer. I’m wondering if updating my HD to an SSD would improve overall speed of the computer. As well as upgrading the RAM again. I updated to 2x 4GB ddr3 of RAM however I see plenty of mid 12s with full 16GB of RAM.

So it’s a few things really ha.

1. Does the computer actually have proper USB 3.0 ports (yes I’ve seen the official model specs that say usb 3.0.)
  2. Why do the USB ports now say USB 2.0 with the USB 3.0 off to the side. And only 2 USB ports anyway. And I SWEAR it used to say USB 3.0 for all. I recently backed up my iphone however. Using USB 2.0. Could that have any effect?
  3. Will upgrading to SSD and 16 GB of RAM get me the speeds I’m looking for?
  4. Sorry for the length or repetition. It’s early am right now lol.
  5. Is the startech cable the best one for me? My western digital 1.5TB external and mb pro? Ha I feel like I’m missing out by not being able to use the Thinderbolt cable. Never. At 10x2 Gb/s. Like yeah. I want THATTTT.

Thanks anyone for your help, advice, upgrading tips, anything. I appreciate it.

-danny

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 7:56 AM

as for using Thunderbolt--

You need to look at this with bottleneck analysis, because the slowest component will determine the maximum speed attainable.

Having the really fast transfer rates of ThunderBolt available will not help you in this case, because even the best 7200RPM drives can only source a single burst of data off the platters at speeds around 125M Bytes/sec. Best case, that burst is large, the the size of an entire Track. But that is immediacy followed by a huge dead time while the drive moves its head to another track. Average transfer rates from a rotating drive are often in the neighborhood or half the burst speed, or around 64M Bytes/sec.

So yes, ThunderBolt provides a really fast highway, but no your attached devices can not come near filling it to its capacity.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2019 7:56 AM in response to dannysomerset

as for using Thunderbolt--

You need to look at this with bottleneck analysis, because the slowest component will determine the maximum speed attainable.

Having the really fast transfer rates of ThunderBolt available will not help you in this case, because even the best 7200RPM drives can only source a single burst of data off the platters at speeds around 125M Bytes/sec. Best case, that burst is large, the the size of an entire Track. But that is immediacy followed by a huge dead time while the drive moves its head to another track. Average transfer rates from a rotating drive are often in the neighborhood or half the burst speed, or around 64M Bytes/sec.

So yes, ThunderBolt provides a really fast highway, but no your attached devices can not come near filling it to its capacity.

Sep 9, 2019 7:48 AM in response to dannysomerset

I also have a 2012 13-inch MBP. The USB3 port speed shows when I connect a USB3 device:

The speed difference is very apparent Real-world example: When I back up the wife's iPad 5 to her 2011 iMac with USB2. it takes about 55 minutes. When I back it up to my USB3-equipped MacBook Pro, the same amount of data is backed up in 6-7 minutes.

Overall computer speed: I upgraded my RAM from 4 to 8GB and saw no noticeable speed difference. I upgraded the old slow 3GBps 5400 rpm hard drive to a 6GBps SSD from Other World Computing and the speed difference was stunning. Real world: With the old roto-drive, Photoshop Elements took 15-18 seconds to launch. With the SSD it is ready to use in 2-3 seconds.

Sep 9, 2019 6:51 AM in response to dannysomerset

The USB-2 connections you are seeing in the report are all internal busses, except for the Bus labelled USB 3.0. There is no need to run them faster. You appear to not be seeing anything on that Bus because nothing is plugged in to the external USB ports right now.

An external disk drive is a very complex subsystem, and you have chosen an even more complex challenge (Time machine backup). There is very little diagnostic information in what you have done so far.

If you want to know at what Speed is the external drive connecting, then plug in the drive and run the same report you were looking at above. (Or refresh for new data.) I would expect that if the drive has BLUE inserts in its USB ports, and the cable is a genuine USB-3 cable, it will show as USB-3 connection speeds.

N.B.> These must be not just good ports and good cables -- USB-3 requires additional signals to run at USB-3 speeds.

(Apple has decided not to use Blue inserts despite their ports being USB-3 capable.)

The suggested changes to your Mac are a good idea in general, but NONE of them will make the slightest difference in USB-3 performance.

Time machine takes all afternoon to determine what must be backed up in its FIRST backup, before any data is saved. Time machine is designed to run at very low priority in the background, to avoid slowing your important work. It does not get faster if you walk away. Your Boot drive, or the external drive in your enclosure, or both, may be developing some Bad Blocks, which can slow transfer times because some blocks will need to be re-tried to get good data.

Sep 9, 2019 11:56 PM in response to Allan Jones

Great man. I’m going to check on plugging in the western digital external, with the eSata->usb 3.0.

(The first comment I’ll talk to you in a sec but u did mention, apple doesn’t include the blue color on their computers.) haha I find this as a huge relief.

So if you did a backup of ur computer and it took like 7 mins, you weren’t using Time Machine? As Grant indicated some really good things I did not fully know about the time machine backup. However, it was the first one on the drive so I was assuming lower speeds. Then I was just worried when the transfer was estimated at like 30 hours , when I’m thinking hey eSata to usb 3 I should be able to backup WAYYY faster. Which external type drive do you use ?

i also use the MBP for music editing and production purposes as well. So the SSD Upgrade seems to be an essential thing at this point. God I really really wanna just grab the Samsung 1TB SSD right now. Or whatever it is. I think I am gonna put the RAM up to 16 GB but yes , I do realize this won’t make backups run faster.

Thanks for ur help man!

Sep 10, 2019 12:01 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ok ok. Lots of stuff here. I appreciate all the info you’ve sent, so thanks very much.

From that , I believe the answer will be that I need to upgrade to an SSD 1.

I already did the 30 hour time machine backup, so IT FINALLY DID FINISH. Haha eventually. But yea I didn’t know that like it’s left to run slow. Kinda wish you could get into something and tell it, no I’m exclusively using time machine right now. I assumed I guess by having only time machine even open.

But that makes me feel a lot better knowing , the usb 3 will recognize as long as a usb 3.0 cord is connected.

I get what ur saying about the thunderbolt, so then yea...if the 7200 is just crap now, then yea it’s time to get that SSD.

Sep 10, 2019 5:38 AM in response to dannysomerset

¿Do you have a genuine USB-3 cable and USB-3 drive?

¿When you plug it in, does it connect at USB-3 speeds as shown in that same System Report?

If yes to all those, then we can talk about your 30-hour Backup, which is WAY out of line. There may be a specific reason (a drive problem) that is causing it to take more than an afternoon.

Sep 10, 2019 6:16 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

¿Do you have a genuine USB-3 cable and USB-3 drive?

¿When you plug it in, does it connect at USB-3 speeds as shown in that same System Report?

If yes to all those, then we can talk about your 30-hour Backup, which is WAY out of line. There may be a specific reason (a drive problem) that is causing it to take more than an afternoon.

I think it’s this one:

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/usb-3-to-esata-adapter~USB3S2ESATA3

Sep 10, 2019 7:29 AM in response to dannysomerset

So if you did a backup of ur computer and it took like 7 mins, you weren’t using Time Machine?

No, not a computer backup. That was in backing up a very full iPad. The example was that it took 55 minutes to back up the iPad over USB2 (2011 iMac) and only 6-7 minutes to back up the same amount of data from the same device using USB3 (2012 MBP).

When you upgrade to an new drive, change the hard drive cable at the same time. It's cheap and easy, and you start with a fresh cable. That cable is known to wear from vibration and cause issues.

Sep 10, 2019 8:08 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

One trick for speeding up Time Machine, if you're comfortable with Terminal, is to disable the “throttle” which slows it down to avoid interfering with other use of the computer.

sudo sysctl debug.lowpri_throttle_enabled=0

This can greatly speed up a backup in some cases. I’ve found on Mojave that occasionally a backup which usually takes a few minutes will take hours due to excessive throttling.

That command only affects the system until you reboot, so it’s safe to use without long-term effects. You can reverse it by replacing 0 with 1.

13” mid 2012 - Everything says it does support usb 3.0…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.