Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open photos library from external hard drive

When I try to open my photos library that is stored on my external hard drive, I get the following message: There is not enough disk space to migrate your library. It is estimated that you need at least 63GB of additional free space." I have 591GB of free space on my computer, the external hard drive is 'My passport for Mac' and I have tried using the Option key when I open Photos to choose which library I want to use. Any ideas how to open it?

Thank-you!!

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 12:08 PM

6 replies

Sep 13, 2019 11:39 PM in response to KellyGirouard

One option is to keep using iPhoto so no conversion to Photos format is necessary. iPhoto still works in Mojave. I am not sure about Catalina.

But it might be a good idea to move on and copy the library to a larger volume, do the conversion, and copy the converted library back.

...I much preferred iPhoto but a few months ago I cleanly (*) updated to Photos to make troubleshooting easier (exporting album updates via iTunes to an iPad ignored random images -- I'm not yet sure if that is now fixed).

(*) I deleted the old iPhoto library and re-imported files to a brand-new Photos library. I use Photos as just a viewer and an extra backup. My main archive is in folders on external HDs.

Cannot open photos library from external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.