Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am preparing to send in my iMac to be recycled. Instructions said to backup personal files (which I have done) and wipe data before shipping. How do I "wipe data?"

I am preparing to send in my iMac to be recycled. Instructions said to backup personal files (which I have done) and wipe data before shipping. How do I "wipe data?"

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 9:15 PM

If you are very concerned about the data, you may want to do a more thorough erase. See section 8 in:

Erase a volume using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

One pass, or moving the slider one position to the right, is enough.

3 replies

Sep 9, 2019 12:35 PM in response to CommunityUser_0919-62

The most simple method is to restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on startup) and then open Disk Liabilities and format the internal drive. This will wipe the HD clean. If you have a bootable clone backup EHD, you can also boot from the clone and open Disk Utilities - Format and format the internal HD on the computer.

Instructions for formatting the drive can be found in many places, for example this Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDeCVUFl-Ac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.