Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to upgrade my computer to macOS catalina

I want to upgrade my computer to macOS catalina. How can I download it??

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 12:12 PM

22 replies

Nov 10, 2019 9:22 AM in response to ahmet_elmaci

My MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, early 2013) has 8GB of RAM and plenty of disk space. It should be eligible for Catalina.

However, the Apple Software Update does not propose to update and can't find an update. I'm currently using MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G1012). When trying to obtain Catalina via the Apple Store, upon hitting GET, the system returns a "the requested version of MacOS is not available.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks,

Peter

Nov 10, 2019 10:04 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the remarks. I'm indeed using the same and unique appleID.

And by the way, the upgrade to Catalina on my other Mac device (a 27-inch Late 2013 iMac) was automatically proposed via the standard software update and it executed perfectly.

Back to the appleID issue, how can I verify the appleID that is currently running on my MacBook Pro and eventually used to try to update to Catalina ?

I should also mention that just prior to attempting to upgrade to Catalina, I ran the latest security update for Mojave.

Thanks again for reading me. Kind regards,

Peter

Nov 10, 2019 10:08 AM in response to ahmet_elmaci

Upgrade to Catalina comes with heartaches the one that is reaching is the demise of 32 bit programs you might have and still use.

The solution (partial) is to back up your entire system using Apples Time Machine (or your particular favorite) solution giving you a path back from this upgrade if it is too painful.

One discovery is that files on iCloud are not normally assessed in the time machine backup process, those cloys could include files you don't feel fully comfortable in leaving to Apples care or just want to have a hard copy in your possession.

It was found that a normal drag and drop from say Keynote, Numbers or Pages might not be so intuitive. So failing to be able to select files, other than those residing on your Mac (those files are drop and drag moveable to a external storage device and are findable even by opening the app and and choosing File Open from the pull down menus) to drag and drop because they are on the cloud. You might get success by opening iCloud.com (using the iCloud password for the account where they reside) then finding the file there that contains your files, like the individual ones for Keynote- Numbers-0 or Pages, you then need to open each individual file with all your documents in it select all those documents (highlighting or command A) in it and then dragging them in mass to the location in your back up drive that you want them saved in. You might want to set up a separate file for each before dragging.

What would be nice is to have engineering set up a instruction doc in these individual apps under (keynote help for example) backup to alleviate this process from causing more concern when jumping from Mojave to Catalina?

What you see now is inadequate:

Ways to keep your information safe on Mac

If the Time Machine backup disk for your Mac is full

Keep your Time Machine backup disk for Mac secure

Start, pause, or resume a Time Machine backup on Mac

If your new Mac inherits your backup history

Choose a backup disk and set encryption options on Mac

Dec 7, 2019 2:29 PM in response to ahmet_elmaci

Catalina install question...I went to the App store, I think I pressed "get", a box came up with a button "next" I believe, and pressing it did nothing so I quit. And then going back to the app store it is indicating that Catalina is "Installed" - I don't think it did anything. What the heck? I want to upgrade my 2013 Air to the latest version. How do I get that app store page to let me download the software? Or should I download it somewhere else and try it again?

Thanks for any help, really appreciate it.

Dec 7, 2019 7:21 PM in response to Not-an-apple-expert

<<I don't think it did anything. >>

The download is quite large, and it takes a while (half hour or likely more) to complete. If you started it, there is likely the beginning portion of a MacOS Installer in your /Applications folder, so it registers as already present. Of you cannot get it to resume the download, delete the beginnings of the Installer and start again, only be MUCH more patient.

I want to upgrade my computer to macOS catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.