Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need my iPad to use its own phone number.

I need my iPad to use its own phone number. How do I separate it from iPhone phone number?

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 1:29 PM

My iPad has its own phone number but it’s using my iPhone phone number. How do I program it back to its own phone number?

9 replies

Sep 10, 2019 1:28 PM in response to Blueseduction04

The phone number associated with a cellular data service account on an iPad is used by the carrier for billing purposes. It serves no function at all on the iPad as an iPad is incapable of connecting to any cellular telephone network. They are data only devices.

Without being paired to an iPhone, an iPad has no cellular telephone voice nor SMS/MMS capabilities. It is restricted to VoIP calling services (FaceTime, Skype, Ooma, etc) and internet messaging services (iMessage, Skype, Google Hangouts, etc).

Sep 10, 2019 1:44 PM in response to Blueseduction04

Sigh.......As has already been explained, your iPad is NOT capable of receiving or making phone calls with the number it has been assigned by the carrier you buy data from. You cannot set up your iPad to use the number your carrier uses. It would be pointless to even try. The ONLY way you can make or receive calls on ANY iPad is by using your iPhone as a companion to your iPad. That's it.

I need my iPad to use its own phone number.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.