Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight "Indexing and searching disabled" for external drive

I have one external drive that I store my iTunes library and other files on. I can NOT get spotlight to work on this drive. It is a 4 TB disk, formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". In the terminal, if I try: mdutil -sa, I get the following (Calvin is the external drive):

mdutil -sa

/:

Indexing enabled.

/Volumes/Calvin:

Indexing and searching disabled.

I have tried the following (several times) WITHOUT success:

1. Resetting spotlight via System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy by adding the external drive to the excluded list, saving the preferences, then removing the external drive from the excluded list and saving the preferences.

2. I have tried "Ignore ownership on this volume" on and off.

3. Via the CLI, turning off SIP, deleting the spotlight indexes, forcing re-indexing, turning SIP back on with the following commands:

boot with command-R

open terminal

csrutil disable

reboot

open terminal

sudo mdutil -i off /

sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight*

sudo mdutil -i on /

sudo mdutil -E /

boot with command-R

open terminal

csrutil enable

reboot

Does anyone have experience getting this fixed? Ideas? This is on 10.14.6, but was occurring in earlier versions of MacOS too.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 3:16 PM

I must have had a corrupt plist file. I fixed my issue by deleting these two files and rebooting:

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ccom.apple.metadata.mds.index.plist

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ccom.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Working fine now.

Similar questions

1 reply

Spotlight "Indexing and searching disabled" for external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.