Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sim

can i put any simcard in an iphone i bought at apple.com? cus theres no option for sim free.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 3:06 PM

Depends on how you bought it exactly.

If you bought any of available models full price, they should be unlocked and can take a sim card from any carrier.

If you bought it through AT&Ts Next plan, then its locked to AT&T and would only accept AT&T cards.

Will my new iPhone be unlocked?

Nearly all iPhone models sold on apple.com and at the Apple Store are unlocked. This means they aren’t tied to a single carrier. The exception is when you buy an iPhone with AT&T Next. It will be tied — or locked — to AT&T.

• Your iPhone will be unlocked when you:
  • Choose any carrier and select One-time payment.
  • Choose any carrier and select Apple iPhone Payments.
  • Choose any carrier and either join or upgrade with the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.
  • Purchase a SIM-free model. This is like any other iPhone, just without a carrier nano-SIM card.
  • Your iPhone will be locked when you:
  • Choose AT&T as your carrier and pay with AT&T Next.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2019 3:06 PM in response to obadia145

Depends on how you bought it exactly.

If you bought any of available models full price, they should be unlocked and can take a sim card from any carrier.

If you bought it through AT&Ts Next plan, then its locked to AT&T and would only accept AT&T cards.

Will my new iPhone be unlocked?

Nearly all iPhone models sold on apple.com and at the Apple Store are unlocked. This means they aren’t tied to a single carrier. The exception is when you buy an iPhone with AT&T Next. It will be tied — or locked — to AT&T.

• Your iPhone will be unlocked when you:
  • Choose any carrier and select One-time payment.
  • Choose any carrier and select Apple iPhone Payments.
  • Choose any carrier and either join or upgrade with the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.
  • Purchase a SIM-free model. This is like any other iPhone, just without a carrier nano-SIM card.
  • Your iPhone will be locked when you:
  • Choose AT&T as your carrier and pay with AT&T Next.

sim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.