Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using automator to rename files automatically

Hi!

new to automator so trying to streamline my work flows!

I work in photoshop and often save multiple versions of each final image for different uses ( RGB, CMYK jpeg etc..) I have created a batch to handle all this and the files are saved into a folder for each of the variations - the only issue I now have is renaming the files in that folder to indicate which variant it is for example add _RGB to the files in the RGB folder and _CMYK to files in the CMYK folder - What im hoping for this to happen automatically as soon as the files are saved into those folders!! I don't know if this is possible or if it involves scripts or other things??? any help appreciated.

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 4:08 AM

Do you just have a single RGB, CMYK, JPEG folder for all projects?

If so, you could create a Folder Action in Automator. You can have it run when files are added to the folder.

You would make one for each of the three folders, one renaming to _RGB, one to _CMYK, and one to _JPG.

In Automator, create a new Folder Action that receives files added to one of your folders.

Then, drag in a Rename Finder Items and set it up to add Text after the name.

If you have multiple of each folder, you could still do this. If it is a set of folders for each project, I think you would be spending more time building the Automator Folder Action than you would be saving time.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2019 4:08 AM in response to retouch

Do you just have a single RGB, CMYK, JPEG folder for all projects?

If so, you could create a Folder Action in Automator. You can have it run when files are added to the folder.

You would make one for each of the three folders, one renaming to _RGB, one to _CMYK, and one to _JPG.

In Automator, create a new Folder Action that receives files added to one of your folders.

Then, drag in a Rename Finder Items and set it up to add Text after the name.

If you have multiple of each folder, you could still do this. If it is a set of folders for each project, I think you would be spending more time building the Automator Folder Action than you would be saving time.

Sep 15, 2019 7:55 AM in response to retouch

The following simplistic Folder Action in Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95):

will continuously append "_Text" to the dropped filename until it exceeds the maximum file name size. So, for a dropped filename of foo.txt, it becomes foo_Test_Test_Test ... _Test.txt. This is horribly broken, and may be present on High Sierra too. Mine runs without error, but what a mess it makes of the intended filename.

In these cases, I prefer to use a Run Shell Script instead of a Rename Finder Items action, and use Bash, Zsh, or one of the other scripting languages to perform the folder name append to the file.

using automator to rename files automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.