Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

garageband in Maverick 10.9.5

According to wikipedia: "Apple released GarageBand 10 along with OS X 10.9 Maverick in October 2013."

I am running Maverick 0.9.5 but had to install v6 of Garageband from my version of iLIfe 11.

How can I get Garageband 10 running on my system which is supposedly can do?

Where can I get a version which runs and also why did it not install when I installed Maverick?

The current version of Garageband available for update via the apple store require Macos10.1 which I do not wish to upgrade to currently due to other siftware I use not working with it.

Any insight or advise is most welcome.

Current Pro Desktops

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 7:46 AM

Garageband was never included as part of the OS back in 2013 it was a paid app. Perhaps it might have been included

as a software bundle when a new Mac was purchased.

Garageband is now free, but the version in the App Store will not install on Mavericks.

Exactly what software is preventing you from upgrading your OS.

If you have a large enough hard drive you could consider splitting the disk into two partitions, one with Mavericks and one with a newer version of OS, and you can boot between the two when the need arises. Or move your Mavericks install to an external drive and install the newer OS onto your internal disk and again boot between the two when you need to.

The model and age of your Mac will determine the macOS you can upgrade to.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2019 7:46 AM in response to Anthony ÓDoibhailein

Garageband was never included as part of the OS back in 2013 it was a paid app. Perhaps it might have been included

as a software bundle when a new Mac was purchased.

Garageband is now free, but the version in the App Store will not install on Mavericks.

Exactly what software is preventing you from upgrading your OS.

If you have a large enough hard drive you could consider splitting the disk into two partitions, one with Mavericks and one with a newer version of OS, and you can boot between the two when the need arises. Or move your Mavericks install to an external drive and install the newer OS onto your internal disk and again boot between the two when you need to.

The model and age of your Mac will determine the macOS you can upgrade to.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Sep 13, 2019 11:00 AM in response to Anthony ÓDoibhailein

If you had previously downloaded Yosemite it should appear in the Purchased section of the App Store, before you attempt this

remove any external drives that have an existing copy of the Yosemite installer on it, the App Store can see these. Once you are confident your Mac has no Yosemite installers on it then you can download Yosemite, this copy should not have an expired certificate if that is the problem with the Yosemite installer you already have.

If the copy of Yosemite you already have has an expired certificate, there are ways of getting round this.

Open System Preferences> Date & Time> Date & Time uncheck Set date and time automatically. Now enter a date previous to the expiry of the installers certificate, try 2nd February 2016, now try installing your Yosemite app. If that date doesn't work then try another one earlier. If that works then when you boot into Yosemite you can change the date back to today and it should run perfectly well.

As for the progression of installing macOS's, if you try to download El Capitan, How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support from the App Store, you will be refused it if the App Store recognises that your Mac can upgrade higher.

Use this app to see if the apps you have will work in the newer OS's, https://roaringapps.com

Remember you can have Mavericks and all the apps you need on an external drive, and upgrade the OS on the internal drive so you can have the benefits of new security updates, and a more secure Safari.

Sep 13, 2019 9:54 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Many thanks for taking the time to give such a response.

I appreciate this.

I guess wikipedia maybe is not completely accurate in what it says regards this garageband release.

In order to progress things then I am looking to test out installing Yosemite on one of my hard drives which has a copy of all my software on it running under Maverick. The existing Garageband would function with Yosemite. Once more the installer is no longer available to download. I do actually have a copy of Yosemite installer but it can't be verified by the app store so doesn't install.

I would prefer to have a more managed progressive upgrade of the MacOs rather than go straight to the latest in order that I can assess how things function for me regards my software. The simple case is that I cannot afford the cost of upgrading some of the software which is why I am taking this approach. Software such as Adobe suite, Quark, Aperture etc are among the ones I need to use. They work for me and I can achieve what I need from them.

I can see why Apple do it but sometimes I reckon they close the door on people too completely who are maybe operating behind the curve of MacOs development for whatever reason that may be.

So for now a functioning installer for Yosemite would give me the capability to progress things in the manner in which I would prefer.

Hopefully this helps clarify the situation. Thanks again

Sep 14, 2019 5:58 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Now this is the kind of answer I was looking for. Very helpful and to the point.

I have used the Yosemite installer through modifying the year and it installed fine on my test disk. This is now allowing me to do a check through my applications.

I am however now finding that I need to upgrade to Sierra in order for the newer garageband to work. I am in the process of setting this up just now.

The roaringapps application is very useful and I shall add my own experiences to it as I go through the process. All being well then I hope to be able to report back that I have possibly made the jump to Sierra with a functioning version of the new garageband as well as all my applications working. Fingers crossed.

Really appreciate your contribution and will update asap.

Many many thanks for now.

garageband in Maverick 10.9.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.