Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac migration not seeing new hard drive

I have had a new 1TB hard drive installed on my iMac but when I got it back from IT shop I found they had not initialised it and it was using APFS "Flash Storage" which is only 120GB. (what is that??)

I went to disk utility and initialised the 1TB drive which now appears on my desktop.

I have an external drive connected called "Time Machine" for my backups which are up to date.

I then went to Migration Assistant to transfer the OS onto the new drive but it doesn't see it. It tries to put it back onto the APFS but, of course that is too small.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get this migrated and booting the mac off my 1TB new drive?

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 12:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 2:48 AM

It sounds like your "IT shop" bungled the job.

See: How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 13, 2019 8:21 AM in response to philbolton123

Well your IT shop will need to fix their bungle. Going forward, only take Apple products to Apple Authorized Service Providers. They have proper training and the proper tools to diagnose and repair Apple products. Independent PC repair shops, have not made the investment or commitment therefore taking your Apple products to them is a gamble at best.

imac migration not seeing new hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.