Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use a regular USB lightning charging cable with newer iPhones that have the USB-C cable?

Can you use a regular USB lightning charging cable with newer iPhones that have the USB-C cable?

I have several regular USB/lightning cables and I would hate to have to replace all of them with the new USB-C/lightning cables. Is it just about the charging speed or will they not work?

I just ordered the iPhone 11 Pro.

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 2:12 AM

Yeh you can use your old cables. High speed charging is from what you plug wire into. You won’t have high speed charging if plug into the original usb type A brick which is 5watts. If you have older iPad that came with the bigger brick that still uses usb type A that is 12 Watts you will still have faster charging. I don’t notice much of a difference from 12w iPad brick to the 18w type c brick. Usb type c is just new style that’s smaller to take up less space. I purchased the type c wire and 18w brick and use for my iPhone max. I bought wall power outlets that have high speed charging that have two USB ports one usb type A and one usc type c and in the amperes app to test wire my older usb type A performs better then my type c wire, but I bought the 6ft type c wire which the extra length could be why. I’ve been finally changing all my homes outlets over to ones with usb high speed ports and it’s so much more convenient not to have all the power blocks around to charge the families devices. And looks nicer just flush to the wall

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2019 2:12 AM in response to CDHWI

Yeh you can use your old cables. High speed charging is from what you plug wire into. You won’t have high speed charging if plug into the original usb type A brick which is 5watts. If you have older iPad that came with the bigger brick that still uses usb type A that is 12 Watts you will still have faster charging. I don’t notice much of a difference from 12w iPad brick to the 18w type c brick. Usb type c is just new style that’s smaller to take up less space. I purchased the type c wire and 18w brick and use for my iPhone max. I bought wall power outlets that have high speed charging that have two USB ports one usb type A and one usc type c and in the amperes app to test wire my older usb type A performs better then my type c wire, but I bought the 6ft type c wire which the extra length could be why. I’ve been finally changing all my homes outlets over to ones with usb high speed ports and it’s so much more convenient not to have all the power blocks around to charge the families devices. And looks nicer just flush to the wall

Sep 13, 2019 8:40 PM in response to CDHWI

I suspect it is all about charging speed. The regular iPhone 11 only comes with a 5W charger anyway. Unfortunately the images do not show what kind of USB connection the low-end model has in the box. You could probably use whatever cable you have already since the end that goes into the phone is Lightning, as long as you don't mind slower charging.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-11 --> "What's in the box"

EarPods with Lightning Connector

iPhone

Lightning to USB Cable

5W USB Power Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.