Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleCare+ IPhone Upgrade

I have an IPhone XS that I purchased through 24 monthly payments, and have the AppleCare+ as well. I pay a monthly fee (meaning I don't officially own the phone yet), I think I am on my 10th of 24. I have also had issues with my Face ID sensor (but apart from that the phone is perfect) and was told I will likely need to replace it for the $99 fee. If I wanted to upgrade to the IPhone 11 Pro what would I need to do?

Would I need to replace the phone or can I trade in my phone, pay it off and purchase the new IPhone? I was hoping someone had some insight or had done this in the past. I keep seeing that the trade in for the new phone's is being pushed heavily by Apple but was unsure of the caveats. Any help is appreciated!

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 9:49 AM

Depends on what you mean by the "24 monthly payments".

If you are in the iPhone Upgrade Program, you need to pay the equivalent of 2 more monthly payments before you are eligible to upgrade. The equivalent of 12 months of payments need to be completed before you are eligible for an upgrade. Your iPhone in that case cannot be traded in, its simply sent back to Apple and you get the new iPhone and start payments on it again from month 1.

If you are in some other program, then it depends on the program.

If the monthly payments are to your carrier, then you would need finish paying them for the iPhone. This would be independent to what you do with Apple.

If the monthly payments are with Apple through their Barclay Card financing, then you again need to complete the payments you owe.

Either way, you can submit the iPhone as a trade in, and get some value for it towards the purchase of the new one. but you still need to complete the payments for it to whoever you owe it to.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2019 9:49 AM in response to matty_evs

Depends on what you mean by the "24 monthly payments".

If you are in the iPhone Upgrade Program, you need to pay the equivalent of 2 more monthly payments before you are eligible to upgrade. The equivalent of 12 months of payments need to be completed before you are eligible for an upgrade. Your iPhone in that case cannot be traded in, its simply sent back to Apple and you get the new iPhone and start payments on it again from month 1.

If you are in some other program, then it depends on the program.

If the monthly payments are to your carrier, then you would need finish paying them for the iPhone. This would be independent to what you do with Apple.

If the monthly payments are with Apple through their Barclay Card financing, then you again need to complete the payments you owe.

Either way, you can submit the iPhone as a trade in, and get some value for it towards the purchase of the new one. but you still need to complete the payments for it to whoever you owe it to.

AppleCare+ IPhone Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.