Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the white stars in the rating column?

I just noticed these, what is the difference between the while and black stars?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12286/Images/iTunes%20Ratings.png

Mac OS X (10.6.4), iTunes 9.2

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 4:50 PM

5 replies

Jul 15, 2010 6:43 PM in response to Sean C. Carter

By jove, you're right. I can't speak for the authenticity of this info, but I found it on another site. It makes sense, so I'll share it here:

The hollow stars represent the rating that you gave the album. There is not an obvious place to change it but the easiest way in itunes8 is:

1) go to the menu bar and click "View">>"As Grid"
2) double click the offending album
3) there should be hollow stars under the image of the album giving its rating
4) click the stars, hold down, and drag the rating to 0 (this won't change the individually rated tracks btw)
5) no more hollow stars will appear in list view

Jul 16, 2010 1:06 AM in response to Chris CA

Yes Chris, I've been told that the white stars are an average rating of all songs, if separately rated.
Let's say that you rate first track of the album 1 star, second 3 stars, third 5 stars, fourth track 2 stars etc etc...
iTunes then calculate the average rating of that album and it may result in a three star rating overall. Hence 3 white stars.

But if you rate the whole album 5 stars (every song) then it becomes 5 white stars.

What are the white stars in the rating column?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.