Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You'll Need to Unlock your phone first....

Iphone X, current iOS (12.41). Used to be that I could leave my locked iphone in my pocket and press the steering wheel "voice" button for 3 seconds to get Siri. That still works. Used to be that I could say read me my schedule, or send text message to .....Now, when I do any of that it says, quote, You'll need to unlock your cellphone first unquote. Didn't use to do that. I've changed nothing but an update to the operating system. I still have Siri set to work when the screen is locked (hasn't changed). Nothing changed from when it WAS working. Did the 12.4 update change the ability to get Siri to do this while phone is locked?

Any thoughts?

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 11:39 AM

Yes, I totally agree. I did contact Apple via phone on this and they replied that it's a security concern that would allow anyone with access to the phone to get access to your schedule via a simple siri request. It does not effect calling while the phone is locked or sending text messages while the phone is locked.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2019 11:39 AM in response to Spencerator

Yes, I totally agree. I did contact Apple via phone on this and they replied that it's a security concern that would allow anyone with access to the phone to get access to your schedule via a simple siri request. It does not effect calling while the phone is locked or sending text messages while the phone is locked.

Nov 24, 2019 8:59 PM in response to mdavis501

SOLVED! Thank goodness. For all those frustrated - try this. Aside from the Siri settings - all prior mentions in this thread were tried and unsuccessful it’s a setting in Notification PREVIEWS.

1-Settings->Notifications->Show Previews.

2-Select “Always” instead of “When Unlocked”

An Apple Genius was stumped by this and asked another developer friend from HQ about this problem and this is the solution. Apparently Apple wants FaceID security on your phone unless you allow previews. If you say “Always” - it will allow just Siri to do her thing. Just like the old days. Not obvious but I tried it and I’m back in business.

This feature is critical for me - I tell Siri to read me any texts from the car and I was frustrated I couldn’t if the phone was locked.

The downside - you will show the first 2 lines of a text on your lock screen now. Overall I can live with that. Apple please fix this in the future - lock my screen preview AND allow Siri access from my voice.

Good luck everyone. Duane.

Oct 1, 2019 10:37 AM in response to mdavis501

I was running iOS 12.3.x on my iPhone SE last week and Siri worked normally. I could view my reminders and lists by asking Siri and was NOT required to unlock my iPhone first.

After updating to iOS 13, Siri started requiring me to unlock my iPhone before I could do the same tasks. Very infuriating, especially since I use Siri a lot while I am DRIVING.

Here in Washington State, it's a traffic infraction to even be caught holding your cellphone in your vehicle while on the road, moving or not.

I have a couple of iPads and one could only upgrade to 12.4, but I haven't tested to see if it shares the same fate. I suspect I will find the same issue as you are reporting. Therefor, the logical conclusion is that your problem started due to the upgrade to 12.4.

Oct 1, 2019 12:05 PM in response to mdavis501

I'm glad you posted back with a confirmation that they acknowledged the change. It would have been nice if they had posted that they changed it in the release notes before we upgraded. ;-)

It would also be nice if they made it an OPTION. Because I do understand how it could be a security concern for some of the people out there, but one person's security risk equals another person's essential feature.

Also, while Siri is still supposed to be able to do calls and messages without unlocking, I have noticed that since upping to iOS 13, Siri is having a hard time actually DOING them correctly. I'm frequently hearing Siri tell me "something has gone wrong, try again in a few minutes" or tells me to wait.

Now when I tell Siri to "Remind me about X at 5:30", she will tell me "Your reminder is set for this afternoon" but she won't repeat what the reminder is or the exact time like she did in iOS 12, so I don't know if she actually understood what I said until I look at my reminders and find ones that say "Chi-ex" or some other random words. I mean seriously, "Chi-ex"?? That's not even a thing.

Oct 1, 2019 12:16 PM in response to Spencerator

I agree that the option to read/access the schedule would have been much better and so easy to implement. A simple toggle switch that would say, allow siri to access your calendar while the phone is locked. My guess is 99% of the users would turn this feature on.

Your experience with Siri saying "something has gone wrong" or "working on it" was my EXACT experience with iOS 13. But I do think they fixed this with a small iOS 13.1.1 upgrade. As soon as I did the 13.1.1 upgrade Siri stopped with the hiccups.

Nov 8, 2019 1:12 AM in response to mdavis501

I’ve still got iphone 6 & I am working on 12.4.2...recently updated. Also noticed the same issue. I would ask for the weather report & my schedule while getting up in the morning and she started telling me to unlock. WHAT the...? Since when?! I have not changed any of the settings!

So, thanks for confirming I’m not crazy! I completely agree with the toggle that should allow access. Frustrating and worthless feature if you can’t just ask without handling the phone. I’ll choose my own level of security for the weather and my schedule, thank you! ...eye rolls...

Nov 8, 2019 2:15 PM in response to politicalsailor

I'm to the point where when a new update comes out, I have to wonder what feature they will take away next.

I always read the notes on the updates before I install them, but they leave soooo much out. None of the changes we've talked about in this discussion were mentioned in the notes. And I've yet to see them mentioned anywhere since.

I love my Apple products generally, but it's always a one way process with Apple:

a) Apple comes out with an update and tells you all the cool new things they added

b) Apple neglects to tell you all the cool features that they removed

c) You update and slowly notice things that no longer work

d) If it's over 7 days or so, you can't roll back the update

e) Try and ask/tell/communicate in some way to Apple...

f) enjoy the sounds of crickets as they casually ignore you

Nov 24, 2019 9:14 PM in response to DuaneGin703

Unfortunately this is not the answer. First, the problem is not with inability to send text messages. This has never been an issue with the last iOS and the present one. What is an issue (and didn’t used to be) is the ability, while driving, and with the phone locked, to get Siri to read the schedule/ calendar. She now responds You must first unlock your phone first.” Apple technical support told me that this a privacy issue and it was allows then anyone that had your locked phone would know your schedule. I don’t know if Apple tech support is correct but I’m pretty savvy with the phone settings and have been unable to get Siri to read my schedule while the phone is locked. Previously I could, but not with latest change in iOS. With phone locked can send text messages without a problem. Can even read text messages while phone is locked (you’d think this would be a major security issue). But it remains the ability to get Siri to read your schedule that is the blocked function.

Nov 25, 2019 8:01 AM in response to mdavis501

Not on my phone - had no ability to have Siri read the calendar - or texts. these changes allowed both. wondering if it's some other setting. For now - I have full access to my info when the screen is locked.

To your comment that "this has never been an issue with the last iOS and the present one" - as soon as i got iOS13 - this problem started. So it must be something else. iPhone XR here.

Dec 13, 2019 11:27 AM in response to DuaneGin703

Something is different. We should work to find out what is different. I'm using iphone 11 with the latest firmware (I don't think the phone model matters as it's not a mechanical issue). My texts always worked with the phone locked. That's where the difference is. My texts worked but not looking at schedule and my settings were already set the way you suggested. And when I called Apple (albeit not the best technical support) said it was a deliberate move to block siri from reading your schedule because of a potential security violation. Not sure why they wouldn't let you the suer decide this. But, that's what they told me after I had tried all settings i believed them.

Feb 13, 2020 12:39 PM in response to DizzyEagleJJ9

Hi DizzyEagle,

Just to be clear, we are talking about the ability for Siri to read the schedule out loud.

This fix has been suggested multiple times. It does NOT work on my phone, which is an iphone 11pro with the latest firmware. Further, Apple tech support told me that this capability was not allowed due to security reasons and that there is NO setting....absolutely zero changes to settings that will allow this. So, if this works on your phone, then you have managed to do what apple tech support told me is impossible. Congrats.

Feb 22, 2020 3:39 AM in response to mdavis501

Wife and I both have iPhone 7 - iOS 13.3.1 - hands-free law takes affect this weekend in my state. I have carplay but my wife does not. Tried playing with siri hands-free and it works, but if we want Google anything (Google Maps, Google Assistant, etc) we are immediately prompted with "you'll need to unlock your iphone"

How do we get beyond this obstacle?

No web site has the answer, yet, or is it locked this way from Apple to permit enhanced privacy?

Also, I have my own domain with Google, so wonder how much of an impact that might have?

Thank you.

You'll Need to Unlock your phone first....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.