Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Not Empty The Trash Named "Previous Content" Folder

I have reinstalled the macOS Mojave, found there is a folder called "previous content" folder...

I put it a the trash can ... but I can not empty the trash can ...

any idea how I can empty it?...

cheers,

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 7:15 PM

8 replies

Sep 23, 2019 5:08 PM in response to cwong668

Hi cwong668,

Glad that you were able to resolve the issue! If this issue pops up again in the future, and the folder isn't in an area protected by System Integrity Protection, you can force-delete it without erasing your Mac:

1. Open Terminal, which is located in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.
  2. Type rm -rf (don't press Enter / Return just yet)
  3. Add a space, then drag the folder into the Terminal window. Hit Enter (Return).

If the above steps don't work, follow these additional steps:

1. If you are not an administrator, type su - administrator (replace administrator with a real admin account name) and hit Enter (Return). Type the account's password, then hit Enter (Return).
  2. Highlight the previous rm command and press Command-C to copy it.
  3. Type sudo (then add a space)
  4. Press Command-V to paste the previous rm command. Hit Enter (Return)
  5. Type your password, then hit Enter (Return). If you completed the first additional step, type the administrator password instead.
  6. The folder should now be deleted.

Sep 20, 2019 4:37 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Joseph,

i tried to followed the info you attached ... but how do i repair the disk if the folder is in the trash ... can i only repair the folder in the trash? ... i am too afraid to repair my whole hard drive? it will wipe out all the applications and info if the repair is not done correctly ... is there any other solution?...

cheers,

Sep 22, 2019 2:24 PM in response to cywong668

Where was the "Previous Content" folder located before you put it in the Trash?

If you open Terminal.app (located in /Applications/Utilities) and try the following and tell us what are the results:

cd ~
ls -lae@

You can select the output and copy it with Command+c and then post it in a reply with Command+v -- be careful of posting any personal info (change names if needed but don't change important content).

Good luck...

Can Not Empty The Trash Named "Previous Content" Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.