Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add Google Internet Account to macOS Mojave

Hello,

I am trying to add a Google account in System Preferences -> "Internet Accounts" in macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95).

When I select Google, I'm prompted with an alert box which says "Google requires completing authentication in Safari.". When I select "Open Safari", Safari opens to a blank tab. The "Open Safari" button in Internet Accounts is grayed out. I cannot authenticate with Google. I'm expecting a Google login screen to appear.

I've tried:

* Deleting ~/Library/Keychains/*

* Removing my iCloud account

* Creating a new user account on macOS and trying to add the account to that new user (doesn't work).

How can I add my Google account? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Damon

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 10:02 PM

If it is just your G-Mail account you want to add instead of clicking on the Google button click on

Add Other Account and then select Mail Account. From the next screen enter your G-Mail address and its password, then Sign In.

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 13, 2019 10:23 PM in response to damonallison

damonallison Said:

I'm expecting a Google login screen to appear.

———-

App Specific Passwords: Gmail

I would assume you had no Application Key. Rather than using your Gmail login password, an Application Key is needed.

Why Application Keys are Used: Just think about it: If anyone knew your password, they would get all that info. The same goes for Hotmail.

Go Here: Sign in Using App Passwords - Gmail Help - Google Support

Sep 29, 2019 8:07 PM in response to damonallison

Hi all,

I just installed "10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2" for Mohave on my Mac and am now able to add a Google account to Internet Accounts". The problem has been "fixed" - at least it's working for me.

My machine is now running macOS version 10.14.6 (18G103). The update is a security update, so I'm guessing it is simply a coincidence that this is now working.

If you aren't able to add a Google account to "Internet Accounts" on your Mac, try the following:

* Make sure your Mac is up to date (System Preferences -> Software Update).

* Setup generic "LDAP" and "CalDAV" accounts. This will require that you get "App Passwords" from Google (Go to https://myaccount.google.com)

Here are the release notes for macOS 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210589

Good luck!

Damon

Cannot add Google Internet Account to macOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.