Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 1 fix

I decided to write this post because all the published fixes for the Apple Pencil 1 were not successful in my case, the problem description is this: I left my pencil without use in a wallet for 1.5 years, hence the battery was totally dead when I wanted to use it, I tried to recharge it with the standard charger without success , I tried to use the iPad Pro 12.9 in screen to recharge the pencil without success as well, the matter appeared complex because the pencil wasn’t pairing with the ipad at this point.

Reading many posts across the internet I tried everything, leaving the pencil inside a car for 20 min with outside temp of 110F, since some posts said everything needed to wake up the battery was a little heat, so i decided to wrap the pencil in paper and left it inside a fluorescent lamp for a whole night, those lamps that are in spring shape, but everything was useless, at this moment I had deleted the pencil from the Bluetooth list in the ipad IOS. But I noticed something different once in a while, the pencil would pair just for the first time in many days of applying heat , this the key of the repair.

I decided to walk all the way again with a plan, I heated again for 45 minutes the paper wrapped pencil inside the fluorescent lamp , and here’s the tricky and slow part, I left the pencil in my case for 40 days in the same wallet I left it before, then on the 41st day I plugged the pencil to the ipad only port, the magic started to happen, the pop up box to pair the pencil appeared and I toggled yes to the pair question, immediately I went to the iOS task bar to get the battery status , it was 0% at this point, but I waited 10 minutes with the pencil attached to the ipad, and it started to revive in increments of 3% every minute, it took another 30 minutes to charge it completely. Today Ive been using the pencil in many apps with good results, it seems to me I had repaired the pencil from now on.

Saludos

Enrique

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 11:28 AM

Enrique,

I've been struggling with my Apple Pencil (Gen 1) for the past week after not using it for a few months.

I was able to use it for 2-3 minutes when I first tried to use it last week. After using it for a couple minutes, I plugged it in knowing it needed to charge (as I always do) and after about 5 minutes it was no longer working or "connected". I tried to remove and re-pair it but it wouldn't show up. I only guessed it was due to the critically low battery so I did the same as you, I plugged it in overnight. That still did not work or about an hour ago I started to Google the issue again and stumbled across your post above.

After wrapping the Apple Pencil (and a temperature probe) inside some black tissue paper (to attract sunlight), I placed it inside a clear top, black food container and let it sit outside in the Colorado sun for ~18 mins until the internal container temperature read 143 degrees (F). I took the pencil out and plugged it in and the battery was at 3%. After 10 mins of charging, it's now at 78%.

I would not have thought to do that and all my Googling didn't even bring up heat as an option.

Thank you and I hope this helps others.

-Joe

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2019 11:28 AM in response to Kike_Meneses

Enrique,

I've been struggling with my Apple Pencil (Gen 1) for the past week after not using it for a few months.

I was able to use it for 2-3 minutes when I first tried to use it last week. After using it for a couple minutes, I plugged it in knowing it needed to charge (as I always do) and after about 5 minutes it was no longer working or "connected". I tried to remove and re-pair it but it wouldn't show up. I only guessed it was due to the critically low battery so I did the same as you, I plugged it in overnight. That still did not work or about an hour ago I started to Google the issue again and stumbled across your post above.

After wrapping the Apple Pencil (and a temperature probe) inside some black tissue paper (to attract sunlight), I placed it inside a clear top, black food container and let it sit outside in the Colorado sun for ~18 mins until the internal container temperature read 143 degrees (F). I took the pencil out and plugged it in and the battery was at 3%. After 10 mins of charging, it's now at 78%.

I would not have thought to do that and all my Googling didn't even bring up heat as an option.

Thank you and I hope this helps others.

-Joe

Apple Pencil 1 fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.