Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add Google account for syncing, e.g., Google calendar to Mac calendar

I'm using Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6. In System Preferences, Internet Accounts, I click to add my Google account. It takes me to a Google pop-up window in Safari to enter my Google username and password. After entering my correct Google username and password I receive the following error message in System Preferences, Internet Accounts: "Authentication Failed. Failed to authenticate with Google, please try again later." At Google's end, it thinks everything's fine. I receive a Gmail message from Google stating: "macOS was granted access to your Google Account." This has happened repeatedly over several weeks. Solution?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 7:39 AM

Same here. Catalina 10.15, Safari 13.0.2 ... been having this problem for weeks. Have tinkered with Google account settings (such as two-factor authentication, app specific passwords, etc. Cannot seem to get it to work. Using Google's G-Suite services ... currently using browser interface to access calendars in Google, and have a work around for mail as well -- but the full integration is failing. (Integration is fully functioning on iOS devices.)

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2019 7:39 AM in response to mduffy27

Same here. Catalina 10.15, Safari 13.0.2 ... been having this problem for weeks. Have tinkered with Google account settings (such as two-factor authentication, app specific passwords, etc. Cannot seem to get it to work. Using Google's G-Suite services ... currently using browser interface to access calendars in Google, and have a work around for mail as well -- but the full integration is failing. (Integration is fully functioning on iOS devices.)

Jan 27, 2020 2:48 PM in response to Massken

Okay, this is still befuddling me, and I have taken the following steps and still can't get my profile on my MacBook Pro to resolve the issue yet, but here is more info for people with better diagnostic minds than me (my primary concern is the calendars as there are workarounds on mail side):

• Other profiles using the same iCloud info on other Macs (same OS and version of Safari) are able to login/sync
  • created a "test user" on my MBP with NO DATA, and I can add the Google calendar and Gmail accounts successfully
  • on my troubled "profile" I completely emptied the ~/Library/Calendars folder to force Calendar.App to fully refresh -- problem persists in this profile.

This leads me to believe I have some sort of residual files/caches/errors elsewhere in the profile for my "internet accounts" or something else within preferences/OS that is creating this conflict as various system upgrades, calendar, mail and safari updates have not helped. Not sure the best way to clean these out or reset them ... suggestions?

My MBP is the main computer for me and my family business, my freelance business, a tiny little social life and the like. I have backups, but I really don't want to recreate the entire profile -- especially if using a backup might commute the issue to the new profile. Thanks.

Sep 21, 2019 5:22 PM in response to Massken

This is absolutely an Apple problem.

There are numerous threads all over and after spending one full Saturday trying to fix this, the conclusion is clear:

The latest Safari 13 update you guys pushed, messed it all up.

This has to be fixed as a matter of urgency - Mail, Calendar, Contacts are the pillars of everyones productivity.

Dec 7, 2019 5:33 AM in response to jackhunter1

I tried for hours to fix this problem. Then, on the advice of Apple support, I took my computer to an Apple store where they plugged it into their system and downloaded the new OS onto my computer.

That worked. Everything just fine now.

So the issue for me was probably downloading the large OS update using slow wifi. The wifi I was using was shared by others and even though I stayed up late looking for faster speed it still took hours to download the new OS. Such a long download meant more time for possible performance problems.

Cannot add Google account for syncing, e.g., Google calendar to Mac calendar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.