Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I update without WiFi?

Why can’t I update my phone without WiFi?

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 6:04 PM

I BEG YOUR COLLECTIVE PARDONS ? these are the kinds of responses that make me respond. THE ISSUE is not WiFi isn’t always available, or that data usage would be “too much” - IT DOESN’T need wifi, and in areas where I, and many others have 3g/4g with data - we get told NO, for no good reason - I could, give less 💩 about waiting for WiFi which is actually not even a prerequisite.

This is perhaps one of the most basic and fundamental incursions that Apple deems fit to make into the lives and decision making capacity of adult humans. There is not a one person on this planet who can actually provide, but one, well reasoned and compelling argument for such an archaic limitation that is not capable of being overridden -at all-

technology telling me NO, or to do something which it has no position to be doing in the first place is so pervasive and frankly it is arrogant in the extreme - the implications are that I am stupid, not capable, unable to decide basic decisions or make choices - such as do I care about using my data. Moreover iOS 13 has been so unstable , that users like me, and I imagine many others who may not have wifi, may actually want to fix their phone problems stat, and spring for 150 mb of data. SMH . IT IS UNACCEPTABLE, and your responses completely sidestep the thing that is wrong.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 6:04 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I BEG YOUR COLLECTIVE PARDONS ? these are the kinds of responses that make me respond. THE ISSUE is not WiFi isn’t always available, or that data usage would be “too much” - IT DOESN’T need wifi, and in areas where I, and many others have 3g/4g with data - we get told NO, for no good reason - I could, give less 💩 about waiting for WiFi which is actually not even a prerequisite.

This is perhaps one of the most basic and fundamental incursions that Apple deems fit to make into the lives and decision making capacity of adult humans. There is not a one person on this planet who can actually provide, but one, well reasoned and compelling argument for such an archaic limitation that is not capable of being overridden -at all-

technology telling me NO, or to do something which it has no position to be doing in the first place is so pervasive and frankly it is arrogant in the extreme - the implications are that I am stupid, not capable, unable to decide basic decisions or make choices - such as do I care about using my data. Moreover iOS 13 has been so unstable , that users like me, and I imagine many others who may not have wifi, may actually want to fix their phone problems stat, and spring for 150 mb of data. SMH . IT IS UNACCEPTABLE, and your responses completely sidestep the thing that is wrong.

Sep 29, 2019 9:29 AM in response to Chasew72

You need to remain connected to wi-fi to complete the update. If you cannot wait for the update while on wi-fi, I would say your best bet is to update the device via iTunes and the computer. See this, Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you wislh to troubleshoot the over the air update, see this, Get help with over-the-air iOS updates - Apple Support

Why can’t I update without WiFi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.