Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone headphone output

Is Apple iPhone going to bring back a standard headphone jack? I would like to be able to use my OWN headphones. I do not use or like wireless headphones that you have to recharge. I would also like to be able to connect the audio out of my iPhone to an external speaker without having to deal with the lightening jack. $1000 for a phone is a bit too much if it's not user friendly. If Apple doesn't start becoming MORE USER FRIENDLY, I am out after this iPhone 8.

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 6:44 PM

You can purchase the Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter for around $9.

Everything is geared more towards wireless and streaming now, so I do not see going back to being tethered to a cable/cord happening. However, I am not Apple and cannot speak on what they may or may not release as nor can anyone else here.

You can leave feedback at:  apple.com/feedback to voice your concerns and make any suggestions.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2019 6:44 PM in response to username54312

You can purchase the Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter for around $9.

Everything is geared more towards wireless and streaming now, so I do not see going back to being tethered to a cable/cord happening. However, I am not Apple and cannot speak on what they may or may not release as nor can anyone else here.

You can leave feedback at:  apple.com/feedback to voice your concerns and make any suggestions.

Sep 14, 2019 6:55 PM in response to username54312

Yes, I agree, headphones which use plugs is a step backwards in technology.

If you don't want to use newer technology, you'll need to use an adapter to plug in backward technology headphones with plugs.

You can pretty well bet Apple won't be bringing back headphones jacks. Even Samsung has now eliminated them in their new higher end phones.

Sep 14, 2019 7:26 PM in response to username54312

No. Most of my Bluetooth headphones can play continuously for 20 hours. One pair for 30 hours. I charge things at night when I sleep, and use them when I'm awake. I use my headphones every single day and often for hours. If you purchase good Bluetooth headphones, things have changed a lot since they first came out. I personally embrace new technology and love not being tethered to my devices. Most of my headphones have up to and even more than 30 feet, so I can free to move about without having to be glued to my device.

Sep 14, 2019 7:44 PM in response to username54312

I don't care what you actually do (honest, no offense), but you complain about the lack of a real headphone jack and there isn't one and there likely won't ever be one on iPhone's moving forward. So, you either use the options available to you or you move on to what the rest of the world is moving on to and that's Wireless Bluetooth technology.

Otherwise there's really not much else to say here.

Sep 14, 2019 11:44 PM in response to lobsterghost1

User friendly devices should offer options rather than forcing you to pay for extra adapters. I use Bluetooth headphones at the gym but when i travel by plane, i prefer to be able to keep using my very expensive, perfectly good corded in ear noise cancelling headphones which i am not ready to reinvest in new wireless ones and which i can also plug into the airline's seatback movie screen on planes equipped with such. AND i would like to charge my phone at the same time and don't want yet another adapter to charge and use headphones at the same time. On my last flight the girl in front of me fell asleep and dropped her "white ear stumps" through the space between seats and onto the floor and had quite a time finding them on hands and knees and disturbing everyone around while searching under seats between stowed bags. . My corded ones stay attached to me. I also like to use a corded pillow speaker without having to use extra jacks to listen and charge at the same time. If it ain't broke don't fix it Apple. A headphone jack doesn't take away anyone's choice to go Bluetooth. It ticks me off when the apple "solution" is always "why would you want to do THAT"

Sep 15, 2019 5:55 AM in response to Sleeke101

And you can continue to use your corded headphones. No one is stopping you. You just have to use an adapter.

What you or I think about what flexibility devices "should" offer is immaterial. Manufactures change their devices as technology advances. And so too has Apple and the top cell phone makers, like Samsung and Google, which no longer include a headphone jack in their premium devices.

There are loads of different options for Bluetooth headphones. Personally, I'm not an in-ear headphone lover. But I do have a pair for the gym, which are Bluetooth, with a band which wraps behind my neck. If one of the buds pops out, it's never going to fall on the floor, so it can't be lost. For the rest of my listening needs, I have 2 other pairs of higher end over the ear Bluetooth headphones, which are the equal to or even better than most older corded headphones.

I understand you're not happy about these changes, but it's really you who needs to change. You're not going to change Apple, no matter how much you want.

Best wishes to you. We can end this discussion at this point. I get your point, but there's no solution Apple is going to offer you that is likely going to please you. Us going back and forth in this thread isn't going to change anything.

iPhone headphone output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.