Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted an app but not able to delete its settings and preferences

I am trying to delete an app and then reinstall it with default settings but whenever I reinstall it, it shows me the same preferences that I set in first use of that app. I deleted the application along with all the related files from system files and other library folders. Still it shows me the same. How can I bring into effect this change?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 2:02 AM

6 replies

Sep 15, 2019 2:31 AM in response to gauravvij

Did you check the application Support folders to see if the app stores files there.

There are two Application Support folders one in the main Library

and another one in the hidden Users/<Home>/Library folder, to see this Library

click on Go in the Finder menubar, select Go To Folder and enter the text

~/Library/Application Support

press Go.

What app is it, did it come with its own uninstaller, have you consulted the developers

website for uninstall instructions.

Sep 15, 2019 2:45 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I went into the hidden library folders and was unable to find the folder for this application.

It's a binary I downloaded from Github for 3d model rendering purposes. I wanted to change the settings that I added in the first installation and that's what I am unable to do because the app doesn't have any internal support for settings changes. No, there's no uninstaller with the application. It creates a disk image when installing. I even removed that and all the related files that I could find and then reinstalled it but settings don't go back to default.. I messaged the developers but no response yet.

Any other place where I could find any settings or preferences file for the applications or any other method for this? Thanks for the help :)

Deleted an app but not able to delete its settings and preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.