Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini blank screen at start up (after 10.14.6 upgrade)

Since upgrading to OS X 10.14.6, my screen at start up becomes blank. This occurs only when you start your computer from power off. The only solution is to unplug and plug the HDMI cable (after logging in blindly). It doesn't occur after restart. If you restart (from menu) there is no blank screen. This is pretty annoying, and I believe it is a software issue, rather than graphic card problem. I plug in to another monitor with a different HDMI cable to see if this is due to the monitor or HDMI cable fault, but the issue remains. The signal was transmitted from the computer to the monitor, but it is just totally blank (black screen). My Mac Mini is 2018 model and has warranty up to the end of 2021. Any one experiencing this problem? If so, I can I let Apple knows of this issue (as I believe it is related to the OS X 10.14.6 (since it occurs on the first start up after the upgrade).

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 5:58 AM

2 replies

Sep 16, 2019 11:52 AM in response to myat99

Hi myat99,

Thanks for the post. I understand you're finding your external display is blank when you start up your Mac Mini.

Knowing that the same behavior occurs with a different display and HDMI cable helps to narrow things down. Have you tried disconnecting all other peripherals, like external hard drives and other devices, and testing it out? How does that work for you?

To clarify, do you see the Apple logo at all when starting up?

As another test, you could try turning your Mac Mini on and immediately pressing and holding Command + R; this may be useful in ruling out possible software causes. Try it, and keep Command + R held to see if it launches macOS recovery. You'd typically see a gray screen with a globe as shown here: About macOS Recovery

Feel free to reply back here with the results of testing with peripherals disconnected, and of starting up in macOS recovery. The community might be able to offer further guidance then.

Take care.

Mac Mini blank screen at start up (after 10.14.6 upgrade)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.