You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FLAC cannot be imported into iTunes & iPod touch

I am unable to import FLAC files into iTunes for Windows, despite the fact that Apple says that FLAC is supported. When I try to import a FLAC file, either via the menu or drag-and-drop, iTunes will not allow it.

The FLAC files were purchased from either Pono or HDtracks. I'm running the latest version of iTunes (12.10.0.7), and the iPod that I'm using is brand new (7th gen) and its software is also up-to-date (iOS 12.4.1). Running Windows 10, also updated, on a desktop PC.

Thanks for any advice.

George

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 9:07 AM

Similar questions

16 replies

Sep 16, 2019 5:01 AM in response to fluxrev

Historically Apple have not supported FLAC on their devices. I like I suspect quite a few people reading this was therefore very surprised to see it listed in the iPod Touch specs.

It would seem likely the FLAC support is due to the chipset of the iPod Touch supporting this format, as Apple use often the same chips other manufacturers use it is in hindsight not an impossibility. Furthermore relatively recently Apple updated the hardware of the iPod Touch i.e. June 2019. It could be that this is when FLAC support was added.

Interestingly the new iPhone 11 also lists FLAC support but the iPhone 11 Pro does not.

I would therefore say that Apple do appear to be adding FLAC hardware support to a number of their devices. I therefore expect that a future iTunes update may include support for FLAC.

For what it's worth over the weekend my Windows machine installed a new version of iTunes which added support for iOS 13. It is possible this along with iOS 13 may unlock FLAC support. I will have to check this at some point, first I need to get a FLAC file. :)

As an alternative solution consider the following.

1. Windows 10 natively supports both FLAC and ALAC aka Apple Lossless including meta tags
  2. FLAC and ALAC both being lossless formats can be converted between each other with zero loss of quality and the embedded meta tags also get converted including any album artwork
  3. The file size of FLAC and ALAC is virtually identical and as they are both lossless as mentioned above the audio quality will also be identical
  4. You could therefore convert all your tracks to ALAC and still use them in Windows Media Player and then also be absolutely sure it will work in iTunes and on all Apple devices

I have for many years had all my music in ALAC and shared between iTunes and WMP. (I was the person who devised the original solution that allowed playing ALAC in WMP.)

Sep 15, 2019 12:01 PM in response to fluxrev

Jim,

I assume, given what you've said about FLAC being supported by iPod touch, that the iTunes error message "[song file name here] was not copied to the iPod because it cannot be played on this iPod", which iTunes gives me when I try to drag a FLAC file directly to my iPod touch in iTunes, is wrong? In other words, despite what the error message says, the problem is actually with iTunes itself, not the iPod?

Thanks.

Sep 15, 2019 3:06 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Jim,

When you say, "The information relating to FLAC is contained in the link you provided in your original post", I don't know what you're trying to tell me. That webpage that I linked to is just tech specs, and doesn't answer my question. What am I missing there?

Re the webpage that *you* linked to, I presume that you're suggesting that I use the File Sharing feature and something like "VLC for Mobile". I'll try that. The article assumes that the user is running a Mac, and I'm running Windows, but hopefully it will still work.

Thanks.

George

Sep 15, 2019 3:46 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

I just installed "VLC for Mobile", opened iTunes, selected the app in File Sharing, dragged some sample FLAC files to the VLC app window in File Sharing, and ejected the iPod. I then opened the VLC for Mobile app. The files are there, but that's *all* you can say for it. To call the interface "rudimentary" would be very generous. It's just a plain list of file names---no grouping by artist, no alphabetical sorting, no playlist capability, etc. It's unusable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an app from the App Store (only) that will not only allow me to transfer files to my iPod touch but also provide something resembling a usable interface?

Thanks.

George

Sep 16, 2019 11:30 AM in response to fluxrev

Why would you need to keep multiple libraries or even multiple copies?

As I mentioned Windows supports Apple Lossless so for that you don't need to keep FLAC. It is also possible to configure iTunes to auto convert Apple Lossless to AAC when syncing to an iPod/iPhone and it does not result in it keeping a duplicate on the computer.

The existing .m4a tracks presuming they are AAC can be left as they are and if not yet in iTunes added to that.

I have my entire library in Apple Lossless and shared with Windows Media Player and it is configured to watch the iTunes folder and auto add to the WMP library so when I rip a new CD the tracks get added to both iTunes and WMP. This results in a single copy that plays in iTunes and WMP. When I sync to my iPhone iTunes auto-converts to AAC. (Or you can leave them in Apple Lossless but that is overkill for a mobile music device.)

Sep 16, 2019 11:49 AM in response to John Lockwood

John,

Thank you for your reply. Regarding your point about Apple Lossless making the FLAC files unnecessary, I'll have to do some testing and research on the pros and cons of ALAC versus FLAC before I'd be willing to delete all my FLAC files. If you or anyone else here would like to share any thoughts about those pros and cons, I would be grateful.

I appreciate you for sharing your method of managing your music library, and I understand that you're illustrating how things can be done, but I'll mention that I use JRiver MC as my main player, not Windows Media Player.

FLAC cannot be imported into iTunes & iPod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.